PDA

View Full Version : Sturdee's polishing/buffing system.

Sturdee
28th October 2011, 04:38 PM
There have been a few threads on buffing systems being home made mops, McJing 3 in I system and the Beall system. There has also been some comments about using 900 mm threaded rods instead of the rod that comes with the 3 in 1 systems and safety concerns of that.

For some time I have been wanting to install a proper buffing system utilizing the long narrow space under the stairs in front of the main workshop.

As we have a spare lathe, and not being aware of the McJing system, I obtained direct from Beall in the US their 3 wheel polishing kit (including the polishing bars) being 8" wheels with a 3/4 " hole designed for your own threaded rod.

So bearing in mind the posts on safety, I built my own system using a 900 mm threaded rod with the 3 Beall polishing wheels and a U beaut polishing mop.

I built a half open box which is clamped on the lathe ways similar to a banjo, installed the wheels on the threaded rod which has a MT2 machined on one end and fixed to the live centre in the tailstock with a covering sleeve and had a pillow block bearing in the middle to stop any flexing.

Photo 1 and 2 shows the left and right view of the overall system.

Photo 3 shows the rod into the headstock with the MT.

Photo 4 shows the centre pillow block bearing which stops any flexing of the rod.

Photo 5 shows the fixing to the tailstock with the wooden sleeve over the rod and the live centre.

Photo 6 shows the adjustable lamps to give great light and finally photo 7 shows the shelving for the waxes and double light switch to control the lamps.

I've used it a few times now and am extremely happy with it. The wheels are a bit further apart than the standard 3 in 1 systems and allow more room to hold items. I feel the standard system is only suitable for pen size items and not having to changeover things in the lathe for is a real bonus. Definitely worth getting a cheap extra lathe if you have the room.:2tsup:

Next to it, when I get some free time :D, I will put the other old lathe headstock with another Ubeaut polishing mop for bowl work and an old grinder set up for steel polishing to complete the setup.

Peter.