PDA

View Full Version : Lichen, algae, moss on caravan

Allan at Wallan
28th October 2011, 07:30 PM
My caravan has not been used for about two years and is
out in the weather. Consequently, without proper protection,
parts of it have gathered an accumulation of lichen, algae and moss.

I now plan to clean it up to it's former glory but want to use a
cleaning product that is successful and not harmful to the
surface. I have not used anything at all yet as I want to do
it properly first up.

The caravan will be under cover after being cleaned.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Allan

wheelinround
28th October 2011, 09:33 PM
Allan you have a hard job ahead

If all this is on the outside steam clean it off but beware of the amount of pressure used and direction of spray should always be across the joints not into them. Vinegar and water solution works well also.

If its inside get it open and covered to allow air flow ASAP air it for a week allow heaps of sunlight into it.

Sadly if its that bad inside and its mainly MDF/melamine your going to need to get rid of it all of that as it will be rotten.

Check the floor for wood rot

WARE A MASK at all times

Black Ned
29th October 2011, 08:59 AM
Try "30 Seconds" - available at Bunnings - also advertised on Television - Bunnings have a video display of this product in store at my local branch.

I have used this many years ago and it worked on mould and lichen.
I think you should experiment on the length of time and method for differing results.
I also used a pressure washer to clean up instead of the hose.

It may prove better to spray on - wait for a time - scrub the surface - then hose off.

regards Ned

Allan at Wallan
29th October 2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks for your responses fellas.

Ray: Inside is ok, it is only on the front of the van
which faces South in my yard.

Allan

wheelinround
29th October 2011, 09:24 AM
Allan Sue said depending on the lichen she can use it for dying :p

Allan at Wallan
29th October 2011, 05:30 PM
Allan Sue said depending on the lichen she can use it for dying :p

Tell Sue she can't have it.
Who does she think I am ... Dr Phillip Nitschke.:D

Allan

arose62
29th October 2011, 05:47 PM
A while back the "30 Seconds" cleaner ads made me think about the moss, lichen etc. around the south of our place.

Thanks to Google:

1) there are two types of "30 second" cleaner - the one which must be hosed off a short time after application, and the "spray and walk away" one.
The second type is based on quaternary ammonium compounds (if my memory serves), and takes a while (weeks to months) to have the full effect, but is endorsed by various historical societies as not eating the material you're trying to clean. It also seems to have a long-lasting effect.

2) once you've read the ingredients, and recovered from the price shock, you can find much cheaper products which have the same active ingredient, in the same concentration. I found one at Bunnings, used it, and am happy with the results.

Cheers,
Andrew

rrobor
29th October 2011, 06:52 PM
Cripes, lean on experience. Being a Scotsman the last night in December is a rather celebrated event.
Now my old house in Escose was a bungalow with a high pitched roof and 2 bedrooms upstairs. In Scotland a window above a certain height must pivot round to be able to be cleaned from inside. And these dormers conformed
Anyways, after a night of alchohol and Pizza I retired
. I wakened up to a volcano in my gut heaving and bubling. The closest exit being the window I erupted out of there.
Now next morning it was not a pretty site and yours truly was in the bad books.
Being not well, it was a quick fix. very hot water with detergent and bleach.in a bucket tossed down the tiles.
Now yes I had to get rid of the magma but the moss and lichen seemed ok.
But a few weeks later where the water landed was clean and stood out like a sore thumb, I had to do the rest of the roof.
So if not in a rush, try that, It will kill it but it will take a week or two to look like it has.

Allan at Wallan
30th October 2011, 05:13 PM
Thank you all for your comments - the more ideas the better
as I want a nice finish.

Andrew: Do you recall the brand etc. of the successful
cleaner you obtained from Bunnings?

Allan