PDA

View Full Version : Tulip oak - any good?

eisbaer
28th October 2011, 07:48 PM
Hello all,

I've been given some offcuts of tulip oak and it seems a little underwhelming to me. Has anyone turned a pen out of it? I have enough to do a dozen pens and pen boxes to go with them but I'm not sure if I should just do up some boxes and call it a day on that stuff.

That said if anyone is keen for some let me know and I'm sure we can arrange something.

dai sensei
28th October 2011, 08:11 PM
I've got a couple of dozen blanks from US, beautiful pinks and easy to turn.

MAPLEMAN
28th October 2011, 08:15 PM
Tulip Oak should turn well...it's a firm wood(once used for flooring) with beautifull grain(medullary rays prominent) on the quarter:2tsup:

eisbaer
28th October 2011, 08:29 PM
It must be just the bits I have. It's terribly boring from what I can see. I might give one a spin tomorrow and see how it looks.

MAPLEMAN
28th October 2011, 08:39 PM
Brown or Red Tulip Oak...the Brown one is a bit insipid from what i can recall

eisbaer
28th October 2011, 08:49 PM
Not sure. It certainly is pinkish. It's from north qld. It is from a backsawn slab and certainly has some of the rays but maybe it won't be obvious until I turn it.

MAPLEMAN
28th October 2011, 09:30 PM
Not sure. It certainly is pinkish. It's from north qld. It is from a backsawn slab and certainly has some of the rays but maybe it won't be obvious until I turn it.Sounds like Red Tulip Oak...backsawn it is a bit average...pretty on the quarter though,which should reveal itself when turned..good luck with it :2tsup:

munruben
30th October 2011, 05:12 PM
Turn it. you may be surprised.:2tsup: Post a pic when you do.

eisbaer
30th October 2011, 07:31 PM
I will. I'm even gonna try ca on it just because I feel like a fight.