PDA

View Full Version : A Eureka moment

sturina
28th October 2011, 10:10 PM
I guess it's not a true eureka moment, and especially not for the seasoned turners out there, but for me a big break through. This first pen started as a bit of a challenge of trying to make an enclosed ring pen. I got a little over ambitious for my first effort and broke the ring (d'oh!). So I thought I would play and turn it into a normal sierra. Anyway the night before I had been watching Timberbits video on Glen 20 and noticed that the finish was applied slightly differently to the way I had done it. Previously I had only ever finished with medium CA, this method used thin CA. I rumaged around the draws and found some, and the finish was so much better. I liked it so much I knocked up another pen, the second is made from Spruce from the wing spar of a 1940s Tigermoth (an aircraft I adore).

I find this finish and technique of dripping glue from above instead of applied from a peice of kitchen roll so much nicer. For me a definate step forward.:)

Nai84
29th October 2011, 02:03 AM
Hey Sturina

Nicely done mate nice looking pens there and will go nicely with your collection :)

Ian

Pariss
29th October 2011, 06:12 AM
Hey Sturina. I do the drip method too with thin CA from Timberbits. Always get a 100% great finish, (except when trying to use Glen 20) ha ha. David Timberbits has a lot of tutorial videos on his web site. Great pens mate.

bdar
29th October 2011, 08:04 AM
Hey Sturina,
Great finish on both pens. The second one would be my pick due to the history and age of the timber used. Glen 20 finish works for me with either thin or medium CA for me. As some have suggested my be humidity that causes it not to work. I am in Bundy and it can get humid but not like up north.

I apply my CA on the towel, still have to get the control of the amount of CA with the drip method. Sturina, whether it is a big or small Eureka moment it is your point where you see that you have turned a corner in what you are doing. Here is to more Eureka moments for you.

Cheers
Darren

timberbits
29th October 2011, 08:20 PM
Hi Sturina

Great to hear you finally have perfected the Glen20.

Nice pens as well! Welcome to the Glen20 club.

Thanks for sharing.

Timberbits

Paulphot
29th October 2011, 08:39 PM
Great shape on the Sierra's, and the story behind the spruce is good too. Well done.

munruben
30th October 2011, 04:57 PM
Very nice. good to hear of some success with the G20:2tsup: