PDA

View Full Version : Captured rings question

sturina
29th October 2011, 11:57 AM
Ok guys and girls I need advice. It's that time of year where friends are having babies left, right and centre. I am trying to make a captured ring rattle. I have read most of the discussions on this and have turned it. My question is how is it best to sand, smooth the inside wall of the ring? Mine seem quite rough on the interior.

orificiam
29th October 2011, 12:31 PM
Ok guys and girls I need advice. It's that time of year where friends are having babies left, right and centre. I am trying to make a captured ring rattle. I have read most of the discussions on this and have turned it. My question is how is it best to sand, smooth the inside wall of the ring? Mine seem quite rough on the interior.

You could attach a piece of sandpaper to the rattel while it's still on the lathe
and sand the inside of the rings very being very careful.

Cheers Tony.:)

Tim the Timber Turner
29th October 2011, 01:11 PM
Put a piece of abrasive in with the rattle and let the baby work it out??:o

Seriously: Wrap a small piece of 180g around the shaft and rotate the rings by hand against this.

Only takes a short time.

Cheers

Tim:)

joe greiner
29th October 2011, 09:24 PM
What Tony said. Tape a long strip of sandpaper face out to the stem, with the trailing edge clockwise. With the lathe running, rub the inside of the ring, and wobble at varying angles to cover most of the inside. Do this for each grit.

It's generally best to sand the outside of the ring before breaking it loose, but if you haven't, you can fix it to the stem with masking tape, wadded up to roughly center it.

Cheers,
Joe

sturina
29th October 2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys. I will post a pic tomorrow. I think it came out quite nice for a first effort.

sturina
25th November 2011, 04:34 PM
Ok it has taken nearly a month to post the pics but the friends were very happy to receive it. Now I have to make a few more, just need to refine the chisel and the technique.

Christos
25th November 2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the update.

hughie
25th November 2011, 11:48 PM
might have to the same, what type of timber did you use?