PDA

View Full Version : Turning Tools I Have

Christos
1st November 2011, 12:46 AM
I have recently started turning after the lathe had been restored.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/lathe-rest-wip-134509/

So far I am only turning between centres with the grain running parallel with the bed of the lathe.

What I thought I had were two bowl gouge turns out one is a Spindle Gouge.

186380 186381

Need to confirm what this is.

186383 186382

This is the Skew Chisel

186384 186385

And what I am thinking is a Spear Scraper

Feel free to correct if this is not correct.

issatree
1st November 2011, 01:48 AM
Hi Christos,
Nice Tools, but a little old hat these days, as they most likely would be Carbon Steel.
IMO you have 2 Spindle Gouges, a Skew Chisel, & you could regrind the S/ Scraper into a Parting Tool.
Most certainly would work OK. The Bigger Gouge, you could use as a Roughing Gouge, & the Smaller Gouge as a Spindle Gouge.
You could put a bit longer Bevel on the Skew.
That's my 2 cents worth.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st November 2011, 05:50 AM
:whs:

They're good basis for a working kit; all you really need now are a couple of dedicated bowl gouges and a parting tool.

Personally, I'd put a longer bevel on the skew - note that I'm talking the bevel not the angle of the tip! ;: - and regrind that scraper to a round nose. The spear-points have their place, but a 'gentle' round-nose is way more versatile. :shrug:

And, FWIW, don't worry about whether they're Carbon Steel or not. Good old CS is just as enduring as HSS... even more so in some cases... but you do need to take much greater care when sharpening to not 'blue them.' Lots of light touches to the wheel, with ample time between for cooling down. Treated properly, you won't regret taking the extra time. ;)

Sawdust Maker
1st November 2011, 08:07 AM
The comments above are on the ball, IMHO

If you want a sharpening session bring them over here one arvo

And we could even find an old hacksaw blade and make you a thin parting off tool

wheelinround
1st November 2011, 08:56 AM
agreed re-gouges and skew on CS I have a set which some times suits the wood better no idea why.

the diamond point I have 2 and use them regularly for scraping, flattening faces, forming tenons, if reshaping I'd make a Bedan out of it to thick for a parting tool or as Skew said a round nose of 1/2 round with round to left side.

You have enough there to start turning handles Christos a trip to McJings for some HSS blanks will further your collection.

Cliff Rogers
1st November 2011, 09:46 AM
:2tsup: All of what has been said have valid points.

Christos
1st November 2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys for the information. I am sure more chisels will be aquired. It is just knowing what to look for when time permits.

Now I have to be on the look out for a couple of bowl gouges. :priveyes:

wheelinround
1st November 2011, 09:23 PM
Here you go Christos a please note this is prior 80's so no spindle roughing gouge

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6QI76h4ep_I/Sz_i-lpshUI/AAAAAAAAACQ/_s_mWK9DVv4/s1600/LTLS.JPG

vk4
1st November 2011, 09:52 PM
I have a Case set from H&F with similar gouges, I also picked up a 6mm Hamlet & 3mm P&N bowl gouges.

I find the spindle gouged give a good finish and the steel in them is reasonable,I do not have to sharpen them any more frequently than the Hamlet.
I still have to acquire ,
1 Roughing Gouge
2 3mm parting tools
3 12mm bowl gouge
4 standard 8mm spindle gouge
5 5mm spindle gouge

Hopefully either P&N or Hamlet, depends when cash is on hand.

Jeff

Christos
2nd November 2011, 11:49 PM
I can relate when cash is at hand. I have been saving for a little while to get a slow speed grinder or I might be sharpening manually. :o

So who does that these days?

wheelinround
3rd November 2011, 09:06 AM
:U me and most people who go out on demonstrations to hard dragging grinders around. I use a little set of diamond hones and a small hone stone.

issatree
3rd November 2011, 10:21 AM
Hi vk4,
Yes, you are up for a few $'s, but spent wisely, you will not want for any more.
My personal opinion for what you want is ;

P&N 25mm. Roughing Gouge, has some weight to it, buy Unhandled.
12mm. Bowl Gouge, P&N, would be OK. U/H.
Instead of both 8 - 5 mm Spindle, I think 1 x 10mm Spindle Gouge U/H, would do most of your work, again P&N.
Find a good Hacksaw Blade, say, 1 1/2 in. / 35mm. wide, remove teeth, reasonably long bevel, & I used Heavy Heat Shrink x 2, to cover & make the Handle. no cost there.
Be careful with those small Gouges, as you will need the Tool Rest to be approx. 1 - 2mm. from your work or the will most likely get a catch & break them.
Richard Raffan's Book " Turning Wood " has a handle shape in the back part of the book. Most Handles need to be approx. 13in. / 335mm.
Hope this maybe of some help.

Sawdust Maker
3rd November 2011, 10:55 AM
here (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/images/extra/TurningToolHandles.pdf)is a link to an article on the Thompson site re making tool handles

I mainly use brass pipe/tube for my ferrules - you can get a length from Edcon (http://www.edconsteel.com.au/steelstores.htm)pretty cheaply. I think I bought a 12" length for a few $

As I said I've a hacksaw blade if you want to come over at some stage

PS: Trend and Vermec sell unhandled P&N

Christos
3rd November 2011, 08:45 PM
I guess I am looking at getting things a little further along and so today I headed to McJings at Yagoona.

I purchased a bowl gouge already attached to the handle and a diamond parting tool.

Now for the moment I am turning only between centres. Originally I was not sure if I would enjoy wood turning but the more I chip the better it feels.

I had Rommel come with me to McJings but he only purchase a one small item. I got him to also try turning and I think he enjoyed it. No real projects just using the tools.

Christos
3rd November 2011, 08:54 PM
I wish to thank people for the replies to the question that I had. Given me some direction on the tools and what I would need. So the saving is going to start for the upgrade in tools.

Sawdust Maker
I will take you up on this offer sending PM.

wheelinround
3rd November 2011, 09:27 PM
So close yet so far.

Thats all you bought your lucky and how long were you there.

Bet you didn't check out the grinders, hone stones, chucks, drill chucks, drill bits, pen kits, etc etc

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th November 2011, 02:24 AM
Now for the moment I am turning only between centres. Originally I was not sure if I would enjoy wood turning but the more I chip the better it feels.

I had Rommel come with me to McJings but he only purchase a one small item. I got him to also try turning and I think he enjoyed it. No real projects just using the tools.

That's how we all start!

Any 'first attempts' that resemble functional items are pretty much... coincidental. ;):D

wheelinround
4th November 2011, 09:31 AM
He has not shown one item turned yet Skew good bad or finished :q

Sawdust Maker
4th November 2011, 03:16 PM
That's how we all start!

Any 'first attempts' that resemble functional items are pretty much... coincidental. ;):D

or even accidental :p

Christos
4th November 2011, 08:34 PM
Bet you didn't check out the grinders, hone stones, chucks, drill chucks, drill bits, pen kits, etc etc

I checked out everything but only had an hour in the store as the parking said one hour only. :U

I think I might have let people astray a little and I am sorry for that I did purchase a few others things, second face shield cause I knew Rommel would need one for his melon. :U Inside and outside callipers of about 100 mm limit.

The beauty of having a garden is you can use the wood chips as mulch that also includes the test turned pieces. :roll:

wheelinround
4th November 2011, 09:21 PM
Park in the lane way behind Think parking limit is longer.

Christos
4th November 2011, 10:12 PM
Park in the lane way behind Think parking limit is longer.

I think you know them too well.

I used to drop in a computer store quite offen and they would all yell out my name when I entered. A little bit concerning when other customers in the store.

wheelinround
4th November 2011, 11:12 PM
I think you know them too well.

I used to drop in a computer store quite offen and they would all yell out my name when I entered. A little bit concerning when other customers in the store.

:U Know that feeling well also from computer store. Lots of other places also but then they'd all chime Hoppy.............or it could be one person in general public.

Christos
9th November 2011, 08:42 PM
Today I was fortunate enough to visit Sawdust Maker.

That's worth the trip.

:2tsup:

While I was there he was kind enough to grind my turning chisels. Tested these on his lathe and it seems to be cutting a lot better.

Will post pictures soon.

wheelinround
10th November 2011, 07:35 AM
So what batteries flat again :p

I know you are waiting to show us the first master piece done with sharp tools:;

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th November 2011, 08:27 AM
So long as the first pix aren't medical grade or depicting new ventilation patterns in walls or ceiling... :D

wheelinround
11th November 2011, 05:47 AM
Want to know make and model of that camera Christos got to be the longest battery re-charge ever. :q

Christos
11th November 2011, 06:41 PM
Here are the tools after grinding.

Knocked the edges off the spindle gouges and longer bevel on the skew.

Christos
11th November 2011, 07:16 PM
I know some of you have been waiting a little while to see what I have been up to in terms of turning.

The first pieces have been just practice with the chisels to get a feel of chips flying off the turning wood.

The very first item that I made is this snowman, finished with Shellawax Glow. :U

I think I might have been a little bit anxious as this snowman is a little bit too square. :yes:

The next item that could be considered something was this Christmas Tree, finished with Shellawax Cream.

The top could have been a little bit more pointy and some branches or under cuts but not sure how that is actually done. :rofl:

This next item came about due to a friend playing on the lathe. He was just mucking around and said that he had to go. What he started I looked at and saw a cup but as I do not have a chuck I was not sure how to hollow out the inside.

So I left a bit on the bottom for when I finally do purchase the chuck.

187459 187460

Again finished with Shellawax Cream.

Went back to practicing with the chisels and the very next item that came off the lathe after Sawdust Maker sharpen the chisels was this little Rolling Pin. This time finished with Shithot Waxtik.

Well thats it so far, what do people think?

Please understand due to my overly sensitive natural no criticism. :roflmao: Nar be a brutal as you want I want to hear what people think and what would be the best way to practices.

Pat
11th November 2011, 08:40 PM
The top could have been a little bit more pointy and some branches or under cuts but not sure how that is actually done

Parting Tool, I use my 1/16" to form the branches. I also form a small cross for the peak.

Christos
11th November 2011, 09:01 PM
Something to keep in mind.

wheelinround
12th November 2011, 06:35 PM
Christos nice work

Sawdust Maker
12th November 2011, 08:39 PM
Christos

been thinking since you dropped over :doh:

given your savings - I'd be tempted to get a normal 8" grinder and an alox wheel and with the left over funds a chuck from GPW or Carrolls

You'd still need a jig of some description (bought or home made) for the bowl gouges

wheelinround
12th November 2011, 10:03 PM
Christos

been thinking since you dropped over :doh:

given your savings - I'd be tempted to get a normal 8" grinder and an alox wheel and with the left over funds a chuck from GPW or Carrolls

You'd still need a jig of some description (bought or home made) for the bowl gouges

:oo: Thats dangerous Nick you'll strain yourself :q

Now you tell him H&F had a large Scheppac wet grinder reduced to $185 from $320 a display model it was there till late yesterday afternoon. No I didn't buy it ..........almost did.
Not sure if the Alox wheels where on special

Chuck well I did buy a new 4"/100mm Woodfast (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_19) one @ beaut price $70 :2tsup: