PDA

View Full Version : Coopering

montana
1st November 2011, 04:57 PM
Hi, am new here...looking for a course or instruction in Victoria pref. near Ballarat to
learn how to do coopering to make barrels...Cheers :)

dr4g0nfly
1st November 2011, 08:43 PM
Don't know about a course - It's at least a 5 year apprenticeship to become a cooper!

sunburnt
1st November 2011, 08:58 PM
First rule, you will learn to make casks not barrels.

Barrels are just one size of cask (there are firkins, pins, butts, etc.)

China
1st November 2011, 11:55 PM
Contact one of your local breweries they wiill most likely have a cooper who does any work they require and go from there, some one may be willing to teach, you other wise you will have to buy some books and teach yourself as far as Iam aware there no official courses for coopering any where in Australia. I know of one cooper in SA who does jobs from all over the country

wun4us
3rd November 2011, 07:48 AM
A link to Apprentice stats for coopering:

Australian Apprenticeships and Traineeships Information (http://www.nacinfo.com.au/new_app_stp.cfm?b=b&u=4170&cfid=6196594&cftoken=91970078)

Lignum
3rd November 2011, 08:50 AM
Hi, am new here...looking for a course or instruction in Victoria pref. near Ballarat to
learn how to do coopering to make barrels...Cheers :)

Contact Sovereign Hill.

Lumberjack Rick
4th November 2011, 11:53 AM
I wish you luck. Coopering is something I would like to learn myself! You could also try: Brown Bros (Milawa), R.L. Buller & Son (Rutherglen) or All Saints (Wahgunyah). I know these folks arent near Ballarat but they may be able to point you in the right direction. Its a dying art, good luck on your journey.