PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sierra Problem

Dorno
1st November 2011, 07:54 PM
Ok forr all you clever people out there I have a question :D After making the Sieras or even EB style pen I have had a few of my customers that have made the sierra but after putting them together they have had problems with the ballpoint not sticking out quite far enough. How can we make the point stick out just that little bit further ?

Your help would be appreciated

Cheers Ian

dai sensei
1st November 2011, 08:32 PM
Depends on what brand you have. Most Sierras hold the refill within parts out of your control (ie all the metal components) and hence should be perfect :?.

Some EBs and Sierras have the refill controlled by the mechanism in the cap, so if your main body is too long, the refill will not stick out enough. Solution is to shorten the tube, but I have never found a tube too long from a kit,

So what brands do yo have, and what tubes?

gawdelpus
1st November 2011, 08:33 PM
With the Sierras it is pretty simple ,decide how much more you want the nib to poke out, then take a small amount off where the transmission screws into the nib coupler so it screws in the extra distance you want it to protrude .With the elegant beauties as the length of the barrel dictates the amount the nib protrudes ,simply shorten the barrel the appropriate amount :) cheers ~ John

cookie48
1st November 2011, 10:06 PM
Wish that was my problem with sierra's. I can not get mine to stay together. That is when you turn to make the nib protube and return they unscrew. I have tried scoring the threads, slight pinch with pliers to oval an mini mini bit. Was considering glue, but how do you replace the biro?? If I do not find a solution I have about 10 to place in the bin.

gawdelpus
1st November 2011, 11:15 PM
Cookie ! you could glue the threads in place or tighten with pliers so it stays in place , then to change the refill you unscrew the brass section which has a fine better fitting thread , This is one of the problems with so many different brands and companies all trying to market different versions of the same thing ,minor variations in fittings cause us all a bit of grief . I have bought a special tap for sierra transmissions to modify bullet pens to take a parker refill, so far I am yet to find a sierra transmission to fit the dam thread :(.
Cheers ~ John

minus459
2nd November 2011, 01:11 AM
Cookie ! you could glue the threads in place or tighten with pliers so it stays in place , then to change the refill you unscrew the brass section which has a fine better fitting thread , This is one of the problems with so many different brands and companies all trying to market different versions of the same thing ,minor variations in fittings cause us all a bit of grief . I have bought a special tap for sierra transmissions to modify bullet pens to take a parker refill, so far I am yet to find a sierra transmission to fit the dam thread :(.
Cheers ~ John

The best laid plans John............:doh:

undies

Whaler1
2nd November 2011, 01:41 AM
Wish that was my problem with sierra's. I can not get mine to stay together. That is when you turn to make the nib protube and return they unscrew. I have tried scoring the threads, slight pinch with pliers to oval an mini mini bit. Was considering glue, but how do you replace the biro?? If I do not find a solution I have about 10 to place in the bin.

Put a small amount of Blue Loctite on the end of the transmission and push it into the cap, it will set up in just a few minutes and then you unscrew the lower portion to change refills.

cookie48
2nd November 2011, 09:45 PM
Maybe I should have pionted out that it is the bottom part that keeps inwinding. The mech for moving the biro sits ok. It is the part you hold to turn that keeps undoing.

gawdelpus
2nd November 2011, 10:17 PM
You mean the nib section unscrews at the centre band ? some of the sierras are designed that way just tighten it up as much as you can without marking it :) then use as normal ,eg pull apart at the centre and undo the mechanism to change refills