PDA

View Full Version : Dust extraction on lathe

CanFly
16th January 2005, 09:04 AM
Perhaps some readers may be interested in how I collect the dust from my work when turning. I also use a dust hood, etc. but I am never able to collect the dust satisfactorily.

The photographs show a small piece of wood, (colored blue in the pictures) from a broom handle (who would dream of turning one?) to which a couple of one-inch Rare Earth magnets have been glued.

I am able to "stick' the dust hose to most of the metal on the lathe and move the hose close to the work. I either put the magnets inside the hose to hold it in position, or, I use the small piece of metal that I duct-taped to the hose depending on the situation.

With some experimentation it is possible to get the hose very close to the work without interfering with the turning gouge or making an unsafe situaiton.

ribot
16th January 2005, 12:07 PM
Great idea, I will give it a go.

rsser
16th January 2005, 05:18 PM
Good bit of thinking there CanFly.

How much of the dust do you reckon you can deal with this way?

bitingmidge
16th January 2005, 05:32 PM
I have been doing similar, but because I am a bit rougher than most, have used good old fashioned bungy cords to hold the flex.

All has been well till today..... I had finished a small box with the lid glued on with hot melt, and was parting it off everso carefully....I slipped just as the thing left the lathe.... well let's just say you don't get any second chances at 1200 cu ft/minute :eek: :eek: :eek: .

I thought I might try to recover the bits and glue it back for fun, but they have just disappeared!!! I reckon I have only one fifth of the piece recovered.

Boy those fans must really whirr!!!!

Back to start again now!

Cheers,

P :D

RETIRED
16th January 2005, 05:42 PM
:rolleyes: Have done the same myself only it was an antique. :eek:

rsser
16th January 2005, 05:42 PM
A-grade bummer P. Wrap a stocking over the inlet next time?

(But why are you glueing the lid back on? Can't visualise your process).

bitingmidge
16th January 2005, 05:50 PM
A-grade bummer P. Wrap a stocking over the inlet next time?

(But why are you glueing the lid back on? Can't visualise your process).

Next time I'll turn it off!!!

As for process... I'm making this up as I go along. But it was an ovaloid sort of section and I wanted to make sure the lid and the body were in the same plane, so carefully (so I could get a razor blade in) used a couple of dabs of hotmelt to hold it together while final sanding/EEE/Shellawaxing.

I should have separated the lot before parting too I guess.

Any tips before I start again?

Cheers,

P

rsser
16th January 2005, 06:08 PM
Ovaloid in which plane?

Help us out here ... brain drain on Sun arvo :(

Bring up the tail stock with some padding perhaps?

bitingmidge
16th January 2005, 08:15 PM
Not up to turning ovals yet, so in the axis of the lathe (like a river pebble in two halves).

I have just finished another of a more "canister" shape, and this time I push-fitted the lid (with a bit of tape to pack out the join a teensy bit :D ).

All went well, so I guess that's how it's done!!!

(I turned off the dust extraction this time!)

90 minutes for a three inch diameter box, two inches high..... I'll take the phone off the hook, will be wanting me for his production line!!

Cheers,

P
:D :D :D

RETIRED
16th January 2005, 08:33 PM
Similar to a bun foot split in half?

powderpost
16th January 2005, 11:08 PM
Been playing with oval bowls on and off for about years now. You should try them, they really are fun. The best part is building the chuck out of wood.
Jim

bitingmidge
16th January 2005, 11:52 PM
Similar to a bun foot split in half?

Yep. Looked OK too (for the millisecond that I saw it!)

The new one is a bit on the boring side...oh well that'll give me an excuse to start another I guess!

Cheers,
P

CanFly
17th January 2005, 05:51 AM
Hi Ern,

Well, it depends on the position of the hose, but an incredible amount of dust is extracted compared to simply using the dust hood or struggling to hold the hose some other way. The magnet allows me to postiion the hose incredibly close, and, in answer to your question, virtully all the dust is eliminated in this manner in some circumstances.

I use the white hose used in a clothes dryer outlet as the flexible piece which is made with a wire insert which enables the magnet to hold it from either the inside or the outside of the hose, which, in turn, allows all manner of positions for the hose.

The hose can even be "stuck" onto the lathe head and when in that position collects an incredible amount of dust created when turning a bowl. We all know when turning the outside of the bowl that is when most of the dust exctraction is difficult.

Using a metal stand, which is adjustable, I can have the hose directly in front of the turnings at almost any position I am working on the lathe bed.

I hope this may be of some value to you Ern. If your'e interested give it a try and let me know if it has made a difference in your workshop.

Ray

CanFly
17th January 2005, 05:55 AM
Hi Ribot,

If you try the magnet attached to the hose I would like to know if you find it convenient and a satisfactory method of removing dust. In some case I have been able to remove virtually all of the dust, a distint benefit!

Ray

rsser
19th January 2005, 03:14 PM
Hi Ray,

My approach has been to attach some flexible ducting, c. 8" in diameter to a salvaged kitchen extractor fan. The inlet is behind the piece on the lathe, but it's not so 'positionable' as yours and so it doesn't catch as much of the sanding dust.

That said, I also use a filtered visor when sanding as well as a ceiling mounted air filter. (All this guarantees my solitude while turning ;-} ....)

But the extractor fan is going to die soon - the bearings are sounding the death rattle - and if I can get a dust extractor to do what you have it doing, as well as run a sweeper-type vac head to suck up shavings, with a needle felt bag. Sound possible?

CanFly
19th January 2005, 03:53 PM
Hi Ern,

You seem to go to great lengths to remove the dust in your workshop. That can only be healthy!

I have worn a mask when sanding but when I am able to position the extraction tube very close to the work by attaching the magnet I find that the mask isn't necessary. As we know the closer the tube gets to the turning the better it will extract.

The magnet allows more flexibility for me and I am sure that others who use this method will come up with different ways to move the extractor even closer. I made a dust hood but it won't collect anywhere near the amount of dust that I can collect by using the magnet approach. It can be "stuck" virtually anywhere there is a piece of ferrous metal. It can be stuck to an adjustable metal stand too that would make it even more flexible.

I have used the elastic and string approach but that takes time and too much adjusting is needed. The magnet is very quick to apply and easy to move around, consequently I move it more frequently.

One of my next projects will be to build a ceiling mounted air filter such as you have. I am also playing around with the idea of making my own filtered visor and bringing in the air from outside the workshop. I found an idea for that in one of the Australian woodworking magazines and I will follow that up. They didn't use outside air but a hair dryer fan mounted around the waistline. I would like to explore the idea of running a tube to the exterior and mounting a small fan in there to blow the air to the visor. It would be a simple matter to control the flow of air by making a blast gate similar to those I have made for my large dust extraction unit.

Ray

rsser
19th January 2005, 04:05 PM
Well Ray, healthy yes, paranoid probably! Wood dust is now a declared carcinogen.

The air filters are now dirt cheap, courtesy of volume and I guess Asian labour.

I've seen (a long time ago) a design somewhere on the web for the kind of filtered visor you mention. The wrinkle is being tethered to a hose.

But that's minor compared with cancer of the sinuses :(

Sprog
19th January 2005, 06:11 PM
One of my next projects will be to build a ceiling mounted air filter such as you have. I am also playing around with the idea of making my own filtered visor and bringing in the air from outside the workshop. I found an idea for that in one of the Australian woodworking magazines and I will follow that up. They didn't use outside air but a hair dryer fan mounted around the waistline. I would like to explore the idea of running a tube to the exterior and mounting a small fan in there to blow the air to the visor.
Ray

Here is a link to the article for the home made dust mask.

Home Made Dust Mask (http://www.fantasticwoodworking.com/freebee_articles.php/#cheap_homemade_dust_mask)

rsser
19th January 2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks Sprog, that's the one.

(BTW How did you come by that moniker?)

Sprog
19th January 2005, 06:49 PM
BTW How did you come by that moniker?

It is the name of my little friend :D

CanFly
20th January 2005, 05:07 AM
Thanks Sprog, I will go to work on that and see what I can do with it.

Tons of snow here in British Colimbia and that has to be attended to first.

Thanks,

CanFly