PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Base for Turning

Turner Corner
16th January 2005, 04:37 PM
Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum and new to the turning game. I got some nice wood for Xmas and I have been working on some figured jarrah platters. Because the wood is so thin I have glued a piece of scrap wood to one side to grab with my chuck. So far I have been using Araldite for the gluing with some success but the last two have failed - seemingly due to heat. I got them all the way to 800 grit and was ready to call them done when they came adrift.
Can anyone suggest what glue is good to use for this purpose?

rsser
16th January 2005, 05:16 PM
Bummer TC. But welcome to the madhouse.

Usual options are PVA or hot melt (good hot melt that is). With care you can knock the carrier off with hot melt.

Another option is to leave a spigot on the base and make a bowl steady to support the rim of the platter. I had one welded up to my design, steel included, for all of $12. (Do a search on my posts for a pikkie). Got a padauk platter down to featherweight this way. (Does require bowl jaws or vac chuck tho to turn off the stub, or sand it off, off the lathe).

Darrell Feltmate
16th January 2005, 10:56 PM
Bad luck, T.C.

I like to use hot glue to hold the piece to a wood block. However, if you are generating enought heat to ruin an Araldite joint, you are generating too much heat sanding period. Slow down the sanding and use less pressure. See my site for an explanation of the hot glue and glue block.
www.aroundthewoods.com (http://www.aroundthewoods.com)

Darrell

Turner Corner
17th January 2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. When you say "good" hot glue what brand /type do you mean?

Darrell - you're right about the heat. I have been reading a bit on the web and it seems I am not patient enough and must be using too much pressure. Something for me to work on I think.

Cheers,
TC

rsser
17th January 2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. When you say "good" hot glue what brand /type do you mean?
TC

Name brand from a hardware or ww supplies place. Use dollops. When finished, warm it up a bit and gently prise away. (But not Triton brand I think it is that is advertised as never giving way). Or use your parting tool as far in as you can and cut through the stub with a handsaw with the lathe stopped.

Darrell Feltmate
17th January 2005, 11:44 AM
TC
I use just about any hot glue going. In fact, the last stuff I got at the hardware section of the grocery store because it was on sale. 48 sticks for $1.98. It works well. I just part in and use the heat of the parting cut to soften the glue on the last 3/4" or 1" tenon so I can pry the piece loose.

Darrell