PDA

View Full Version : recipes for wax finishes

vk4
4th November 2011, 02:27 PM
I have been asked to make up some wax for finishing wood turning projects.

I have a quantity of Bee's wax & Carnubia , which I will use , I am also thinking of adding some Paraffin , and either eucalyptus oil or citrus to give a nice fragrance.

I do have a friend who imports PALM wax for candles , and I wondered how this will go???

So If any forum members have a favorite recipe , I would be interested,.

Many Thanks,

Jeff
vk4

Scott
4th November 2011, 05:01 PM
My fav is equal parts beeswax, boiled linseed and gum turps. The gums turps will give you the scent you're after however won't last long on the piece.

RETIRED
4th November 2011, 07:49 PM
My recipe for what it is worth.

Pick up phone and dial Jim Carroll. Order Ubeaut Traditional Wax in any fragrance or colour that suits me.

Go to Post Office 2 days later and pick up.

No fuss, no mess and very cheap.

Unpaid announcement.

vk4
4th November 2011, 09:27 PM

where's your sense of ADVENTURE :rolleyes::rolleyes:, ,

I saw the suggested portabl;e Lathe on the other thread, though I don't think it is all that portable:D:D

We have the ingredients , and now I just have to find some proportions .

I intend to mix carnubia , bees wax, paraffin wax with Ethel alcohol,mineral turps,and a scented oil, orange, lemon , tea tree, or eucalyptus.:rolleyes:

Yes, I do use U-Beaut products, as I think they are excellent, but then I have always liked to experiment, must have a bit of mad scientist, in the family:D:D:D

Mrs Blackie
4th November 2011, 10:43 PM
My mixture is bees wax, carnauba, parrafin oil + Orange oil, but then it depends what I am using it on, I use the paraffin oil just to soften up the bees wax and carnauba, but the orange oil I use for fragrance which ofcourse doesnt last for ever.:)

Cheers!
Ayshen

vk4
5th November 2011, 05:29 PM
Picked up some Lemongrass, eucalyptus, and orange oil for the polish today,

I will be away from Wednesday for a week, so I will look at doing something wiyh it Monday week.

tea lady
5th November 2011, 05:48 PM
I think its good that people experiment. they may end up buying it in the end, but more people need to have the knowledge than just the corporate interests. That's how knowledge is lost!

vk4
13th November 2011, 11:02 PM
I have looked at LUITHERS(think that's spelling is right), they are only selling their own polishes .

I am after some thing to make up in the shed,.

I have :
1 bee's wax
2 carnuba wax
3 essential oils
and 1 suggested recipe.

Any others I can try PLEASE???

son_of_bluegras
14th November 2011, 07:54 AM
I think project gutenberg has a free online book with recipes available. I know I've seen one somewhere.

ron

dogcatcher
16th November 2011, 05:00 PM
Here is Russ Fairfield's link for his recipes.

Wax-2-Recipes (http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Wax/Wax-2-recipes.html)

I have always preferred the hard waxes without the turpentine. Just melt beeswax, paraffin and any other wax you want to use. Or just melt the 2, then pour into a muffin tin let it set up. I apply it while the piece is on the lather, or I apply it by using a buffing wheel like the carnauba is done using the Beall system.

If you want a bar wax, start with about equal parts of what ever waxes you want to use. As an example 1 ounce each of beeswax, paraffin and carnauba. For a softer bar wax add more beeswax and or paraffin, for a harder bar add more carnauba. For me the best part is experimentation and finding what I like. For a rock hard bar, use 1/ ounce of beeswax, 1/2 ounce of paraffin and 3 ounces of carnauba, you can use these for bricks! I did not like this version, a friend loves it.

Using the finer grades of paraffin are almost the same as the microcrystalline wax that makes Renaissance Wax so great. The thing I don't like about Renaissance Wax is that it is not solid that comes in a bar form.

vk4
16th November 2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks ,

Mrs B & Dogcatcher, I have your 2 recipes and will look up Wax-2-recipes, othe links / references offered did not amount to anything.

I am still collecting bit's and pieces , I need to find an old saucepan ( double boiler to melt the wax , with out direct heat, better control of temperature, and I have a qty of toilet roll tubes , to act as moulds (don;t u love the American dictionary ).

jeff
vk4