PDA

View Full Version : Newbie metal guy

355tonner
4th November 2011, 07:00 PM
Hi guys,
Though id be polite and drop a hello before i started bugging you guys for advice. most of you make me look mentally callenged with the wealth of knowledge you all have. oh well gotta start somewhere i spose. hes may details as follows

intrests:

metal lathe skills and maybe milling later on
metal working and panel work(no bog!!!)
welding and fab work

Tools so far:

16spd chinese floor drill press
250 amp gas gassless mig (E size gas rental B.O.C)
14 inch cutt off
4 inch grinder
60 roller cabinet for hand tools im trying to fill
8cfm compressor
6 Inch bench Grinder

Wishlist:

Metal Bandsaw
Metal Lathe
Metal Linisher
Milling Machine
English Wheel
Pan Brake folder
Beadroller
and to fill that 60" full so i cant even close the draws...:D

All this sits in a 14x6 steel framed shed at the back of the new home the missus and me just bought. like most things we went bigger than we wanted to but hey she got her scrapp booking room and i got my man cave.:2tsup:

Most weeks i try to add to my tool collection with good secondhand or new stuff from ebay and online tools shopsi find the tool guys like Glen#$ds and Bun@ings too dear and hopeless for feedback or advice.

As far as projects go im resto two cars at the moment and trying to fitout the shed properly from the start.

So see you guys around the forums and remember im just new and LOVE asking for adivce from the seniors members

Cheers Ben

355 tonner

Bryan
4th November 2011, 08:59 PM
Welcome aboard Ben. That's quite a wish-list. Sheet metal plus machining should give you a lot of capability. What do you want to get next? What sort of cars have you got?

Stustoys
4th November 2011, 09:34 PM
Hi Ben,

(no bog!!!) Now there is a long hard road. Does spray putty count?
What sort of cars if it isnt a secret.

Folders and rollers are something that dont come up cheap very often :(
Better add some hammers and dollys to that list.

Stuart

355tonner
4th November 2011, 10:49 PM
Welcome aboard Ben. That's quite a wish-list. Sheet metal plus machining should give you a lot of capability. What do you want to get next? What sort of cars have you got?

Hey Bryan,

Not really fussed on what a get next....actually im hunting done a new compressor the 8cfm has a bad case of the asthma when i get the decent tools cracken...

hz gts one tonner
M Sport Bmw
Evo 3 mitsubishi
missus got a pulsar but wants a dirty ford terroity titanium( great suv but its a ford none the less)

355tonner
4th November 2011, 10:59 PM
Hi Ben,

(no bog!!!) Now there is a long hard road. Does spray putty count?
What sort of cars if it isnt a secret.

Folders and rollers are something that dont come up cheap very often :(
Better add some hammers and dollys to that list.

Stuart

Hey buddy,

im ok with bog for skimming the panels for a flat sand pre base coat it not cheating plus its hard not too since most of the major panel shops do it but dont tell there customers anyway..ive worked in a very well know panel shop for a short time and the old guys wanted to do it right but the bos said wipe it with bog...hhaha

as for cars ive posted them above

oh yeah forgot to add that i got a hammer and dolly set last week

im looking into making my own panbrake folder from steel stock from my local steel merchant. Ive seen some really good ones with plans availble. As for the bead roller id love a 240volt jobby as the hand crank ones are really awkward to crank with one hand a cheap straight with the other. but again price will play a big role as im not too keen on dumping massive amounts of coin on it.

Most tools as ive mentioned if bought second hand but good quality. as its only a hobby and will never be a money spinner for me im happy just to find em at the right price when they pop up at garage sales and evilbay.

Stustoys
4th November 2011, 11:14 PM
Hi,
Have you seen this thread? http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/making-pan-brake-folder-fingers-home-45792/

Stuart

355tonner
4th November 2011, 11:40 PM
Hi,
Have you seen this thread? http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/making-pan-brake-folder-fingers-home-45792/

Stuart

WOW....ink is now drying on all those print outs im keen to mod it too make a 1200mm fold as thats about the biggest id fold from a sheet of 2400x1200x1.2

thanks again buddy :2tsup: i could spend all day looking through these threads but nothing would get done in the shed than....hahhahaha

azzrock
5th November 2011, 12:01 AM
g'day ben.
how it going today. good luck with the shed wish list. is say 1 year should see a fair bit ticked off.
what sort of cars are you talking about.

matthew_g
5th November 2011, 11:48 AM
Welcome aboard Mate,
I was wondering when you mentioned no bog, If you were considering "Lead Wipeing" A long forgotten art form. It's something I would love to be taught, Just for my own personel satisfaction.
Keep up the good work....
Matt

PS.
Ain't nuthin wrong with the big blue oval mate.....

355tonner
5th November 2011, 05:04 PM
g'day ben.
how it going today. good luck with the shed wish list. is say 1 year should see a fair bit ticked off.
what sort of cars are you talking about.

hey azzrock,

yeah thats for the wish list good luck...yeah maybe within the year i should be right always buying stuff so its a matter of just working through it plus i try to buy tools use straight away then the missus see me using them and doesnt kick up a stink! my list of cars are above in a preiouvs post mate. plus id like to add a eh of hk munro too the stable if i could the munro would be the choice but they are really expensive at the moment and slowly slipping out of my finacial reach. so maybe a eh but totally off its head would do?

355tonner
5th November 2011, 05:14 PM
Welcome aboard Mate,
I was wondering when you mentioned no bog, If you were considering "Lead Wipeing" A long forgotten art form. It's something I would love to be taught, Just for my own personel satisfaction.
Keep up the good work....
Matt

PS.
Ain't nuthin wrong with the big blue oval mate.....

Hey Matty,

yeah lead wiping is a really good way to do some of the old resto's But these days the paint we use inst lead based and can have a major affect on final paint appearance. so maybe not. but like you it would be great to fiddle and learn with. id imagine that only the real old body guys would have this skill set and id would be hard to track them down and say "Hey, want too teach me for nothing old timmer?:rolleyes:" hahahha...Most of what ive learnt lately has been on forums and you tube vids reading a watching this flat out over and over till im confidant if got it down...

hahahah yeah blue oval is ok i suppose:no:... its a really well put together car so i cant fault it? plus the minster of war and peace loves it so its her choice ive just requested 5% tint incase i drive it...imagine if a mate saw me!!! he'd half ammo on me for atleast six months for driving a ford:doh:...hahha

azzrock
5th November 2011, 06:50 PM
hey azzrock,

yeah thats for the wish list good luck...yeah maybe within the year i should be right always buying stuff so its a matter of just working through it plus i try to buy tools use straight away then the missus see me using them and doesnt kick up a stink! my list of cars are above in a preiouvs post mate. plus id like to add a eh of hk munro too the stable if i could the munro would be the choice but they are really expensive at the moment and slowly slipping out of my finacial reach. so maybe a eh but totally off its head would do?

yah the hk Monro is a tough car. id almost give my left nut for a good one... maybe ten years ago would of been better.
i know what you mean with a real nice xw on the boil at the moment..