PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Pencil Twist mechanism

Dorno
6th November 2011, 01:10 PM
Can someone please tell me where I can buy pencil twist mechanisms for pencils such as Sierra and Cigar. It is a larger mechanism than what is in your standard slimline and is also different to the slimline pro. I have not been able to find them anywhere so would appreciate any help.

Cheers Ian

plantagenon
6th November 2011, 02:04 PM
Ian

Have a look at the Penn State website Penn State Industries | Pen Turning | Pen Kits | Dust Collector (http://www.pennstateind.com/) They may have something you are after as they stock the larger pencils. Greg

Woodkid
6th November 2011, 02:17 PM
Is that mob in Australia Greg?

fxst
6th November 2011, 02:51 PM
No
Pete

bdar
6th November 2011, 02:53 PM
Hey Iaqn I think a Schmidt pencil insert is what you are after and found a link on the sierra conversion .

http://content.penturners.org/library/pencils/sierrapencil1.pdf

Cheers
Darren

gawdelpus
6th November 2011, 04:15 PM
The cigar pencil mechanisms are different to most as they are a twist type. twist one way to bring the lead out.and reverse the twist to retract it , most of the pencil mechanisms I have used are the click type . cheers ~ John

[edit] Just checked ,only partly right with the cigar it uses a schmidt DSM 2006 mechanism, and an unknown activator, a half twist extends the lead, and another half twist to release and push the lead back .The activator is a black plastic section with a rubber insert . The mechanism I described that winds in and out is not branded and one I got from 043 turning called a sierra pencil (G)
If all else fails check Rheizing as they have lots of pen parts :) [end edit]

dai sensei
6th November 2011, 05:36 PM
Depends where you get the Cigar kit from John, some do have the twist out twist back mechanism. All the Cigar pencil kits are from O/S though that I am aware of.

PenTurner
6th November 2011, 09:22 PM
Beware of pencil mechanisms, the cheaper type very unreliable, :-:((:oo:if you are selling as more upmarket pencil, see if you can use a Schmidt mechanism, if a cheap pencil then use the standard kit pencil and good luck. Amos:)

HazzaB
7th November 2011, 10:42 AM
Hey Ian,

I have some Sierra Pencil kits here, I think they came from David (Timberbits), how many do you need ??

HazzaB

Dorno
17th November 2011, 06:56 PM
I purchased some of the Sierra Refills but I don't think I will use the due to the quality of them. I think I will keep them as spares in case my conversion of the sierra pens into pensil doesn't workout well :D I have ordered the schmitt refills and hope for them to be here in the next few days and will then give that a try.

Cheers Ian