PDA

View Full Version : What is in shellawax??

benupton
7th November 2011, 09:32 PM
Hi,
Wondering what is in shellawax?? I do not want to make it or any thing, I had accidental left some cream in the sun and it separated there was a layer of what looked like white shelac when I put a bit on some timber it hardened and looks and smells nice. Does any one no if it is u-beaut white shelac?
Thanks Ben

Jim Carroll
7th November 2011, 09:50 PM
Ben if you get told what is in the mix Neil will have to kill you :D

vk4
8th November 2011, 12:54 AM
Jim,

If you find out , tell me:D:D:D:D. NOT SERIOUS

I am looking for recipes for wax finishes , and some i have found include Shellac, turpentine(natural), Paraffin oil, Ethel alcohol, carnuba wax, bees wax, scented oils.

If anyone has any mixes they use please tell me .

Jeff

Sawdust Maker
8th November 2011, 08:15 AM
It's a sworn secret known to only a select few wood elves and is passed down by word of mouth from generation to generation.

vk4
8th November 2011, 08:20 AM
Where are these WOOD ELVES// ??
I want to catch them and extract the formula:D:D:D

nz_carver
8th November 2011, 08:44 AM
Like it says shells and wax :doh::U

Jim Carroll
8th November 2011, 09:02 AM
Like it says shells and wax :doh::U

Now what could be simpler than that. Problem solved:2tsup:

hughie
8th November 2011, 09:12 AM
whats in Shellawax? now thats pushing it. :)

I am looking for recipes for wax finishes , and some i have found include Shellac, turpentine(natural), Paraffin oil, Ethel alcohol, carnuba wax, bees wax, scented oils.

Jeff,

If you look up a few Luthiers sites, Musical intrument restorers etc, you find a lot of of info on methods, recipes etc. I did it sometime ago but have long since lost the links, come to think of it I sent most of them to Skew. Check with him he might still have them.

Cliff Rogers
8th November 2011, 09:26 AM
Original poster doesn't want the recipe, just wants to know what the stuff was that separated out.
Buy some of the U-beaut Shelacs & try them out.

ubeaut
8th November 2011, 09:59 AM
All Shellawaxes are based on our own specially formulated HARD SHELLAC which is a Dewaxed White Shellac also known as dewaxed bleached shellac. Glow is also based on hardened shellac(s) but if I tell you what type I will have to expunge the memory of everyone who reads this.

If it separates give it a stir and it will readily mix back into the cream.

By the way our Hard Shellac is imported into the US by Luthiers Mercantile for use on guitars and other musical instruments throughout the US.

:U

vk4
8th November 2011, 11:09 AM
always thought your products were good.

Jeff

dr4g0nfly
8th November 2011, 09:18 PM
if I tell you what type I will have to expunge the memory of everyone who reads this.

I would have though a goodly few of us are getting to the point of expunging our own memories!

Sawdust Maker
8th November 2011, 09:46 PM
I would have though a goodly few of us are getting to the point of expunging our own memories!

single malt helps :p

nosnow
8th November 2011, 09:46 PM

Now what was the topic

Thats right

"Wood Elves Polish Shells With Wax"

dr4g0nfly
10th November 2011, 02:16 AM

Jim,

have you seen this one?

Making Your Own Oil Stain (http://www.thewoodworkingcatalog.com/magazine/nov96/oilstain.html)

Also (somewhere) I have an 1870's wood finishers handbook full of all old recipies in all the old names for chemicals etc. (I did find a conversion table as well). When I dig it out I'll give you a shout if your interested.