PDA

View Full Version : Metal Working Bench

355tonner
8th November 2011, 02:57 PM
Ive started to build a permenant metal working bench/ welding bench. Im keen to see what you guys have added to your bench as in the way of add ons or tooling racks or storage that you think really works well for you... before i finally coat it in hammertone silver

Hers a pic of the bottom fab area im working on fitting out it approx 6x 4mtrs

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/355tonner/shedandracking005.jpg

Hers my new welding set up..Its not a kemppi or licoln but it great for me and hasnt let me down...

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/355tonner/tonner083.jpg

Heres some of the racking getting fab up prior to painting

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/355tonner/tonner091.jpg

And yes my shed dog is eyeballing my work for sqaure...hahaha Do you guys have a shed dog? she sits quitely and just hangs out with me night after night watching and just plain keeping me company while i work. she better than the missus cos she just asks why i need so much "####" as she calls it...but she has the study in the new house full of "scrap booking" stuff so she doesnt complain that much she just goes of to do that stuff and leaves me and the dog alone!!

its is as follows:

30x30x2.5 tube
6mm plate for the top
bench size is 1000x1000x2000 in size

im tossing up putting shevling or peg board on the uprights for tool storage? what do you guys think? And as far as the undermount storage ill just put a shelf half way up with a ply base i think

Most of the spacing is 2000 between the shed supports so i have a ton of room and where the black 60' tool box is sitting in the photo im going to make another one to match but it will just have a marine ply top due to the cost of 6 mm plate? $213.00 i was quoted from my local steel merchant

Gavin Newman
8th November 2011, 04:53 PM
Think about some rails at the side and maybe at the front of the bench that you can hang G-clamps on until you are ready to use them during a job set up. By all means store them elsewhere for tidiness but having a "ready-use locker" makes it much quicker when setting up a job and it's better than having them strewn across the bench top.

If you end up with corner clamps (http://www.blackwoods.com.au/PartDetail.aspx?part_no=01034558) (http://www.blackwoods.com.au/PartDetail.aspx?part_no=01034558%29) which are a godsend when jigging up framing for welding, then pegs to hang them on the side of the bench during job set up are a good idea as well.

355tonner
8th November 2011, 05:00 PM
hey Gavin,

yeah thats what im thinking about... clamps,tools and most stuff id need pretty handy.. im keen to see so photos of your set up if thats ok? the peg board thing i think will be the way to go as if i even need to change the set up it can be altered without re welding or cutting new sections in..

cheers 355tonner

Gavin Newman
8th November 2011, 05:12 PM
hey Gavin,

yeah thats what im thinking about... clamps,tools and most stuff id need pretty handy.. im keen to see so photos of your set up if thats ok? the peg board thing i think will be the way to go as if i even need to change the set up it can be altered without re welding or cutting new sections in..

cheers 355tonner

My welding bench is what you might call overkill, many years ago Perry Engineering in Adelaide closed down. I knew one of the guys there, the end result was I drove my EH Holden home with a 4 foot diameter, 1 inch thick lathe face plate in the boot (and the front wheels clawing at the sky) and that became my welding table. It's drilled and tapped all over the table so I can bolt stuff down and know that it's all square and the table's not going to warp with the heat. Like I say, it's overkill and my kids will curse me when they have to shift it when I'm gone but for a dozen long-necks it seemed good value at the time.

I'm not in favour of pegboard or shelves that come to the leading edge of the bench, you just end up banging your knees and shins. If you are going to have them you need them to be recessed in about a foot from the front face of the bench.

Gavin Newman
8th November 2011, 05:27 PM
While you're in the mood for cutting and welding here's another idea. I mounted my 14" cutoff saw in a rack with a lead-in and lead-out area so when I'm cutting long lengths I don't have the problem of the saw moving about. You can see the rack in the picture below. It has a fence that is in line with the fence on the saw itself so cutting full lengths is a breeze.

The saw rack has cross bars underneath it which are matched by bars under my metal-working bench at the other end of the shed (see the other picture) so I can store full 8 metre lengths of steel intact. The racks for shorter lengths are between the bench and the saw-bench.

BMS and non-ferrous stock for machining are stored elsewhere and kept greased in the case of the BMS. I'll try and get a shot of the welding table tonight.

187101 187102

Rgds - Gavin

Bryan
8th November 2011, 06:32 PM
Have you heard the expression "Blind as a welder's dog"? In other words, I hope you put her elsewhere when you weld.

new_guy90
8th November 2011, 07:44 PM
Good choice with the 6mm plate I have the same on mine :2tsup: but I only made my bench 700mm deep so I could reach the wall with the exposed footings. My bench is also 1m off the ground give or take and It was the second best choice. Im about 1,8m and 1m sits just under my elbow Its great to work on :2tsup: I sure wish the benches at work were higher It makes a hell of a difference but I dont think It occurs to most people.

I did try and make my bench as heavy as I could but it cost a fair bit. I used 50x100x3mm and 50x50x3mm RHS In the end I would do it all again :cool:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/Benchinplacewithcabinetin.jpg

Oh $200 sounds about right for the plate I hope you got it cut into pieces :wink:

Michael G
8th November 2011, 08:08 PM
Another thought for you. Some of the welding benches at work have a series of slats at one end. The idea is that if you need to bolt something down while you are welding, you can pass a bolt through the gap - saves drilling holes and provides some adjustment if needed.

Michael

355tonner
9th November 2011, 01:50 AM
Good choice with the 6mm plate I have the same on mine :2tsup: but I only made my bench 700mm deep so I could reach the wall with the exposed footings. My bench is also 1m off the ground give or take and It was the second best choice. Im about 1,8m and 1m sits just under my elbow Its great to work on :2tsup: I sure wish the benches at work were higher It makes a hell of a difference but I dont think It occurs to most people.

I did try and make my bench as heavy as I could but it cost a fair bit. I used 50x100x3mm and 50x50x3mm RHS In the end I would do it all again :cool:

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo103/Stag_hound27/Benchinplacewithcabinetin.jpg

Oh $200 sounds about right for the plate I hope you got it cut into pieces :wink:

hey new guy,

yeah thanks for the reply mate...im quite tall too at 6'4 and about 125kgs so height and location is key for me too.. at a metre deep i can reach and grab the rear of the bench pretty easy. hey also buddy where you giving away a english wheel in another thread? i replyed too it but you didnt write back? im sure theres a carton of here with your name all over it if you wont to let it go to a good home???hahah. The 6mm plate is just there retailprice i asked someone while i was there the other day. i have another guy who works there thats gives it too me usally at a really good price if i dont want a receipt (CASHIE) he just throws it in the back of my trailer and off down the road i go!!!

355tonner
9th November 2011, 01:52 AM
Another thought for you. Some of the welding benches at work have a series of slats at one end. The idea is that if you need to bolt something down while you are welding, you can pass a bolt through the gap - saves drilling holes and provides some adjustment if needed.

Michael

hey Micheal,

thanks for the reply sport. could you grab a photo of them for me and the other guys who veiw this thread for a referance

cheers

355 tonner

355tonner
9th November 2011, 01:54 AM
Have you heard the expression "Blind as a welder's dog"? In other words, I hope you put her elsewhere when you weld.

hey bryan thanks for reply

yeah my father mentioned it to me the other day im a little more carefull around her now.. thanks for the heads up too....

cheers 355 tonner

355tonner
9th November 2011, 01:57 AM
While you're in the mood for cutting and welding here's another idea. I mounted my 14" cutoff saw in a rack with a lead-in and lead-out area so when I'm cutting long lengths I don't have the problem of the saw moving about. You can see the rack in the picture below. It has a fence that is in line with the fence on the saw itself so cutting full lengths is a breeze.

The saw rack has cross bars underneath it which are matched by bars under my metal-working bench at the other end of the shed (see the other picture) so I can store full 8 metre lengths of steel intact. The racks for shorter lengths are between the bench and the saw-bench.

BMS and non-ferrous stock for machining are stored elsewhere and kept greased in the case of the BMS. I'll try and get a shot of the welding table tonight.

187101 187102

Rgds - Gavin

hey Gavin thanks for the reply..

you have some good ideas there mate..and photos to boot. its easy for me to look at photos they speak a thousand words as we all know!!!

i have another section in the shed put aside for all my metal stock needs but the 14inch drop saw idea is gold i mite pinch that if you dont mind?:U

355tonner
9th November 2011, 02:00 AM
thanks agin to all who have replied ill post up some photos of what ive amde a start on i have some really goods tricks tucked up my sleave also that ill share:D...till than thanks again:2tsup:

355 tonner

BobL
9th November 2011, 11:18 AM
I was using 3 sheets of 1200 x 900 mm peg board in my shed but I am now down to one.

I wonder if anyone has tried a sheet of 25 mm steel mesh mounted about 25 mm proud off a wall?

355tonner
9th November 2011, 11:44 AM
hey bob and thanks for the reply,

yeah thats something else ive seen people use for strorage and hanging items to shed walls i think it works well because you can change and adjust it as your tools grow or change..

cheers 355 tonner

new_guy90
9th November 2011, 06:46 PM
hey new guy,

yeah thanks for the reply mate...im quite tall too at 6'4 and about 125kgs so height and location is key for me too.. at a metre deep i can reach and grab the rear of the bench pretty easy. hey also buddy where you giving away a english wheel in another thread? i replyed too it but you didnt write back? im sure theres a carton of here with your name all over it if you wont to let it go to a good home???hahah. The 6mm plate is just there retailprice i asked someone while i was there the other day. i have another guy who works there thats gives it too me usally at a really good price if i dont want a receipt (CASHIE) he just throws it in the back of my trailer and off down the road i go!!!

Sorry mate I was just trying to stir up ideas for people.... an English wheel is on my "would love to make but have NO use for" list, Its a very long list :( I need to clean out the shed this weekend ill give you a heads up if anything turns up

kraits
9th November 2011, 08:19 PM
i personaly wouldn't go anything under 10mm for the bench top, it may sound over kill and is more expencive but you won't regret it as opposed to a 5 or 6 mm bench top that will bounce. ive got some mesh left over from the concreting and i used some to as a rack to hang various sized cutting and grinding discs, works a treat

355tonner
9th November 2011, 09:55 PM
Sorry mate I was just trying to stir up ideas for people.... an English wheel is on my "would love to make but have NO use for" list, Its a very long list :( I need to clean out the shed this weekend ill give you a heads up if anything turns up

yeah thought that mite be the case and just thought id try my luck...:Dhahah let me know what turns up but in your spring clean but!!!:2tsup:

355tonner
9th November 2011, 09:57 PM
i personaly wouldn't go anything under 10mm for the bench top, it may sound over kill and is more expencive but you won't regret it as opposed to a 5 or 6 mm bench top that will bounce. ive got some mesh left over from the concreting and i used some to as a rack to hang various sized cutting and grinding discs, works a treat

hey kraits thanks for the reply,

yeah id thought about the bounce too and im sure with the extra supports and welding the top down im sure i sure i should have it shorted!!!:2tsup:

355tonner
9th November 2011, 10:03 PM
hey made a start one the bench tonight...im not trying to over think it to much or ill never start....

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/355tonner/jadaandbench002.jpg

Heres wheres the new one will be going...The second one with a ply top will sit to the left of it. Both bays are 2000mm between the posts.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/355tonner/jadaandbench005.jpg

Heres the entire space

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa414/355tonner/shedandracking005.jpg

Michael G
11th November 2011, 12:56 PM
Finally remembered to get a photo of the slat topped bench. the top looks to be around 12mm thick.

Michael

355tonner
11th November 2011, 05:52 PM
Finally remembered to get a photo of the slat topped bench. the top looks to be around 12mm thick.

Michael

hey buddy, thanks again for the reply and taking our time to grab a photo of it:2tsup:it does look really think doesnt it i wonder what type of clamps they us as its hard to tell the gap size from the photo?

thanks again.

maybe i could do two tops that interchange but that would be greedy of me?:B

WelderMick
12th November 2011, 09:37 PM
Have a look at weldingtipsandtricks's Channel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/weldingtipsandtricks#p/u/12/NTygwgKetJI) for some ideas... he's also got some other videos also showing use of the various accessories for his bench. Lotta money to buy one, but maybe you can adapt some of the ideas. Cheers - Mick

eskimo
13th November 2011, 09:08 AM
187101 187102

Rgds - Gavin

that shed is way too clean and tidy Gavin