PDA

View Full Version : Prossie Turnout 2011

Old Croc
9th November 2011, 07:41 AM
The 11th Turnout was another great weekend, 4 days of it, and for me it just keeps getting better. Some of the highlights,
MK Penturner teaching me how to turn a full length pen,
TTIT cutting a thread first go with Powderposts tuition,
In awe of the work Gorden and Vaughn from WA were doing,
and who could forget Marilyn's joke at the banquet Saturday night,
so now to planning for 2012 and setting up an even bigger selection of choice wood for prizes,
regards,
Crocy.

tea lady
9th November 2011, 08:06 AM
Ah! So lets hear the joke then! :D

Jim Carroll
9th November 2011, 09:02 AM
No pictures didnt happen.:rolleyes:

mkypenturner
9th November 2011, 09:08 AM
No pictures didnt happen.:rolleyes:

Hey jim
I took a few pics but waiting for my computer to be fixed :-(
It was great

TTIT
9th November 2011, 10:34 AM
Top weekend :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: Took a couple of pics as soon as I got there because I knew that once I settled in I would forget I even had a camera with me - too much to do, to many woodies to meet and chew the ears off.

1. Ladies marquee with the main marquee behind.
2. Looking towards the main marquee through the corner of the second marquee that was originally set up for the rocking-horse carvers - ended up full of lathes also.
3. Main marquee - Old Croc in the blue shirt arguing the point with Mkypenturner in the green&gold. :;
4. My little plot with the mini-lathe I borrowed to try and catch up on my egg turning - yeah right!! - whole weekend and I only got 7 done :B . . . . but I did learn to chase a thread under Powderposts expert tuition which was worth the trip in itself :U

Old Croc
9th November 2011, 02:06 PM
-
Old Croc in the blue shirt arguing the point with Mkypenturner in the green&gold. :;
Arguing the point???? never!:D
One day I will buy a computor so I can keep up with it all, and then i would have known about one piece pens and CA finish, it was a big weekend of learning for me. Also forgot to mention all the tips I picked up listening to Ken W, while he was tutoring Katrina with the oblong burl,
Crocy.

TTIT
9th November 2011, 02:26 PM
Hey Croc - found it! Jim was right - flindersia ifflaiana - the Hickory egg will now get promoted to the full list :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
9th November 2011, 02:30 PM
Geeze it looks dry down there.

Hey Croc, you want to buy a computer.... only ever been driven to church on Sunday by a little old lady? :sleez:

Cliff Rogers
9th November 2011, 02:32 PM
Hey Croc - found it! Jim was right - flindersia ifflaiana - the Hickory egg will now get promoted to the full list :2tsup:
I have some of that, thought it was Crow Ash Flindersia australis til Jim saw it & told me different.

TTIT
9th November 2011, 02:44 PM

Damn right it's dry - not a drop since Yasi wandered through apparently :o. The bush on the south side of the dam was still burning when I arrived :C

Allan at Wallan
9th November 2011, 03:44 PM
Still waiting to see two things:

1) The joke from Marilyn, :doh: and

2) A pic of Ken with Katrina.:no:

Allan

mkypenturner
9th November 2011, 05:50 PM
Still waiting to see two things:

1) The joke from Marilyn, :doh: and

2) A pic of Ken with Katrina.:no:

Allan
Hey allan
In regards to the joke , prob not allowed to post it here
And for a pic of ken tutoring katrina on the mallee bowl sorry no pics of that either
Am waiting for my computer to get fixed cause i got a really good pic of
Ken wraight using a bench grinder ( mine ) yes thats right a bench grinder
In his defence he did mention " that its not my chisel " and "im using tormek jigs on a tormek bench grinder mount " and yes as soon as my pc is fixed the pic will be posted !!!

powderpost
9th November 2011, 09:00 PM

Cliff, it was so dry they used an electric jack hammer to "bore" a hole for the tent pegs.
Jim

powderpost
9th November 2011, 09:15 PM
Didn't take many photos, to busy talking. This is a portion of the main arena of the circus. Our own TTIT on the right in a white singlet.
Jim

Cliff Rogers
10th November 2011, 10:19 AM
... i got a really good pic of
Ken wraight using a bench grinder ( mine ) yes thats right a bench grinder
In his defence he did mention " that its not my chisel " and "im using tormek jigs on a tormek bench grinder mount " and yes as soon as my pc is fixed the pic will be posted !!!
He would often use mine to shape a new tool for somebody before taking it to the Tormek.

Cliff Rogers
10th November 2011, 10:21 AM
Cliff, it was so dry they used an electric jack hammer to "bore" a hole for the tent pegs.
Jim
Strewth.

jefferson
10th November 2011, 01:38 PM
Getting the pegs in with the electric hammer is fine, getting them out of the stone soil is another. :rolleyes:

Another point - Prossie has the best electrics at any turning event I've been to. No black/brown outs and everyone is happy. :2tsup:

RETIRED
10th November 2011, 03:02 PM
Ah so Jeff, but compared to other events, how many lathes are working?:D

Sorry I couldn't have been there this year.:((

Vern, is that the Official Proserpine T shirt or is it a QLD turning jacket? :roflmao:

Glad to see that Jim (Powderpost) is finally useful.:wink:

Cliff Rogers
10th November 2011, 04:46 PM

Glad to see that Jim (Powderpost) is finally useful.:wink:
Appearently he can also drive a BBQ. :D

RETIRED
10th November 2011, 05:41 PM
Yep, I believe so!:wink: Some people have long memories,

powderpost
10th November 2011, 08:30 PM
Watch it!!!! I am listening.... and I have a good memory :). Yes it was a very enjoyable weekend. Pity the southern gatherings are so far away, but then that may be a good thing. It is too bloody cold down there.. :q

Jim

powderpost
10th November 2011, 08:40 PM
This was a feature at this years weekend. The bloke on the left, in the coveralls, is 87 years old. He has completed 10 of these rocking horses, and attended about 7 turnouts in Proserpine. He must be alright, his name is Jim and he is an old scot... :D. A bit concerned about the bloke on the right in the green "T" shirt though.
Jim

TTIT
10th November 2011, 08:44 PM
Sanded and put a bit of wax on the threaded box - it'll do for the first attempt :U Used Veiny Denhamia because I thought it would be good for threading but it is a bit plain so an unfortunate 'design opportunity' :B allowed me to con Jim into letting me use one of his famous laminated inserts to give it some style. Thanks again for your help Jim.

......Vern, is that the Official Proserpine T shirt or is it a QLD turning jacket? :roflmao:......Called the 'Flow Through' style - just shake and the shavings all hit the floor :U

coffenup
10th November 2011, 08:46 PM
quite don't encourage jim(powderpost) :doh: he won't get through a door with his swollen head:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Regards Michael

powderpost
10th November 2011, 08:50 PM
Looks good Vern, very nice recovery.. :U.
Jim

Cliff Rogers
10th November 2011, 10:43 PM
Looks good Vern, very nice recovery.. :U.
Jim
Did the lid have 2 holes in it? :think:

tea lady
11th November 2011, 12:11 AM
quite don't encourage jim(powderpost) :doh: he won't get through a door with his swollen head:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Regards MichaelI thought they did it in tents. So no worries about doors.:D

TTIT
11th November 2011, 10:34 AM
Did the lid have 2 holes in it? :think::B Measure twice, cut once they say :B So who had a ruler ?!?!? :B

Paul39
11th November 2011, 01:16 PM
TTIT,

Beautiful lighting & set up on the box photos.

(From retired commercial / advertising photographer.)

tea lady
12th November 2011, 01:15 PM
Yeah! But what was the joke at dinner? :D

Ed Reiss
13th November 2011, 12:54 PM
TT...I got a phone call from Old Croc this evening. He specifically told me to check out your threaded box...glad he did, got one word for it ~~~ Gorgeous!! :2tsup:

Glad ya'll had a good time at Prossie!!

mkypenturner
18th November 2011, 09:49 PM
ok guys
FINALLY got my pc back heres my batch of pics to add
theres a few of in the tent including a great shot of vern aka TTIT making a egg ,along with a heap of stuff on the display table even had a rocking horse made in just the weekend , that was a marathon :rolleyes: and for the ladies the did some leadlighting in their own tent
pics in no order at all :rolleyes:

mkypenturner
18th November 2011, 09:55 PM
more pics

Mobyturns
28th July 2012, 07:00 AM
Things you find on the internet! Finally prompted me to get off my bum & join the forum.

Old Croc
30th July 2012, 08:01 AM
Things you find on the internet! Finally prompted me to get off my bum & join the forum.
Well welcome to the forums Mobyturns. It is interesting you found the Prossie Turnout 2011 thread, as it is only 3 and a bit months away till the 2012 Prossie Turnout, and I was about to contact Con to check its progress and start organising the great timber swap. Next question, where is Brownsville, and are you going to make it to Prossie?
rgds,
Crocy

Mobyturns
30th July 2012, 10:20 PM
Not to long now Old Croc, 2012 will be #6 for me. Actually found photos of my work on the forum while searching pics of Vaughn Richmonds stuff. Brownsville? obviously you're not from Cairns. Its the capital of FNQ.

Cliff Rogers
30th July 2012, 10:31 PM
Brownsville (Mt Isa by the sea) is the capital of NQ, Cairns is the capital of FNQ. :wink:

Mobyturns
30th July 2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah right! :roll: Hopefully no diary clashes for you this year Cliff?

Cliff Rogers
31st July 2012, 12:00 AM
Going to Canada this year, will have only just landed back home.

Old Croc
31st July 2012, 07:40 AM
Going to Canada this year, will have only just landed back home.
So, thats no excuse, I came back from 7 weeks in the USA last year, landed in Townsville, loaded the truck and drove to Prossie next morning, it was fun after 3500miles on the wrong side of the road,
Crocy.