PDA

View Full Version : Spine surgery

gnu52
10th November 2011, 12:10 PM
Hello all,
Had a little problem last week and found myself airlifted to hospital on the coast with severe back & leg pain. After MRI, CT & nerve testing its been decided that I need surgery to reconstruct L5 & disc to relieve a pinched nerve. Apparently surgery is conducted from both back & front, reduces the wound size over a back only operation.
Has anyone with experience in this got any comment/advice to offer? Outcomes, healing time etc.
Thanks, Bill

AngelaPetruzzi
10th November 2011, 12:35 PM
You’ve had some excitement being air lifted. Definitely a better way to go rather than the traditional cut and stitch up. Less wound area, less likely hood for infections and pressure etc. They will have you in rehab in no time. Did they not pump you up with anti inflammatory tablets first?...Good luck with your surgery and stay positive.

John T
10th November 2011, 08:46 PM
HI bill
I had something simular i had an opp in 2002 pinched nerve in L 3/4 opperation from the back, in hospital for 6 days at home i was not aloud to sit in a chair for six long weeks it was either lay flat or stand, no doubt they have improved their opperation methods over the years good luck with opp :2tsup::2tsup:
regards john.

Foo
12th November 2011, 10:45 AM
Good luck with the op.:2tsup:

Also do some research on your surgeon.:wink:

Foo

munruben
12th November 2011, 08:12 PM
I wish you luck with your surgery. don't know anything about it myself. .Guess we have to put our faith in the experts. All the best..:2tsup:

rsser
23rd November 2011, 04:24 PM
Bill, surgery should be a last resort with backs.

And your questions should be put to the orthopeadic surgeon.

1. What procedure is proposed?
2. What are the alternatives?
3. What are the success rates and risks associated with each?

If you're not happy with the answers, you should seek a second opinion. That's standard practice and shouldn't put noses out of joint.

At a guess they may be looking at a laminectomy. Do a google on that.

My Mum has had one twice and while they provided temp. relief in the end she got a long-lasting epidural aneasthetic injection and her body did the rest.

If I were in your shoes I'd go down a low-intervention path first. Do you have a decent physio in town or nearby? Cheaper, lower risk and may be more effective.

Good luck.

John T
23rd November 2011, 08:11 PM
After my experince with a physio never again :no::no:

john

rsser
24th November 2011, 06:38 AM
Regrettably there's variation in competence among all professionals.

That's why you ask questions and why you ask around about reputation.