PDA

View Full Version : help

oldiephred
12th November 2011, 11:39 AM
Don't want to be a nuisance but I have seen numerous threads on this site that refer to the, sometimes, difficulty of obtaining even junk wood. Living in an area where there is an almost endless supply of easy to get wood (although not nearly the variety or attractiveness as aussi) I find it difficult to comprehend the type of restrictions you have. Can someone give me a quick wood acquisition rules 101.

hughie
12th November 2011, 12:19 PM
101. Keep an eye out for any and all fallen or cut down trees, new developments, new roads or highways. Talk to your local tree loppers and or tree surgeons get to know them all, visit thier yards often.
Buy a chain saw and a trailer, or a truck :U and drive around your neighbouthood often.

jefferson
12th November 2011, 06:31 PM
Rule no. 1:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FREE WOOD.

You can scavenge it, salvage it, acquire it through many means but it always costs.

So price your wares accordingly i.e. as if you'd paid full retail for the wood used.

Rule no. 2:

IF YOU GET A DECENT LOG, KEEP IT ALL FOR SWAPS

Rules 3-100 will no doubt follow.

dr4g0nfly
13th November 2011, 06:25 AM
I'll add

Rule No. 3

Tell your friends about your hobby and make sure to mention your need for wood. They'll help direct you to it or pass you some.

Rule No. 3(a) Always pay them back with a little something made from the wood as a thank you, it keeps the flow going.

Ed Reiss
13th November 2011, 01:03 PM
Rule 4:

Always lift the logs with your legs. Doing so with your back and abdomen can result in unwanted results...kinda' like the hernia op I just went through a month ago :doh:

cookie48
13th November 2011, 10:16 PM
If it is free it is good. Turn a bit and if it does not work out, you have some fire wood next year.

oldiephred
14th November 2011, 10:41 AM
Appreciate the responses:2tsup:

jimbur
14th November 2011, 11:04 AM
There is always the last resort. Do you really need all those fencing posts? Then indoors surely some furniture could do with one less leg - the list is endless.:D
Cheers,
Jim

D.A Hageman
4th January 2012, 08:45 PM
i cant believe what im reading 1 what country are you in2some woods are worth turning others are not,You want it to be pretty so keep away from hard things that look flat ie no sheen i hofe we find out where u r seeya

fishin27
5th January 2012, 04:36 PM
Join the local Men's shed they have and get heaps of timber.

munruben
6th January 2012, 07:48 AM
Local recycle tip sells off stuff that people have thrown out and some old pieces of furniture offers up some good timber sometimes.. but of course its at a cost.

NeilS
6th January 2012, 01:21 PM
I'll add

Rule No. 3

Tell your friends about your hobby and make sure to mention your need for wood. They'll help direct you to it or pass you some.

Rule No. 3(a) Always pay them back with a little something made from the wood as a thank you, it keeps the flow going.

My Rule 3(b) Never turn down any offer of wood, even if you know the current lot on offer is ho-hum. The next lot they have may be very worthwhile but they may not bother to make the offer next time if you become an unreliable and appreciative receiver of wood.

Rule 4. Have a large wood storage area to cope with 3(b)...:rolleyes:

Willy Nelson
6th January 2012, 01:56 PM
Wood Acquisition
When I started turning, I lived in an area which had kerbside rubbish pickups every 3 months. As I drove around, I keep an eye out for timber. It may be good for turning, or it may be good for burning.
I had a huge area for firewood/turning wood. Frequently, a piece was salvaged from the firewood area as it had potential for turning.
Another source was timber yards. They normally have a bin for offcuts and are happy for you to scour the bins, if asked.
Friends cut down trees or know of wood turners who have passed on. I have a friend who owns a skip bin business. He frequently tells me of burl he has found which has been ditched!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? Who would have thought about ditching burl?

Never knock back a freebie, as you may not get asked again. I grab it when offered and if no good, I burn it.

Always reward the previous owner of the wood, you will get more offers.

Lastly, and one which suits me the best, contact you local state forest management about getting a craft wood licence, or firewood gathering licence. Very cheap, and normally good for a ton. Probably need a decent chainsaw though
Good Luck
Willy
Jarrahland