PDA

View Full Version : Turned furniture challenge?

tea lady
14th November 2011, 01:56 PM
Haven't had a challenge for a while! What do you think we should make? How about an actual piece of furniture? :think: Like a shaker chair or a three legged stool! Something mostly turned anyway! :cool: To ambitious? :U I'm always one for grabbing the bull by the horns and running with it! :cool: (Maybe you could make something for the dolls house if you only had a pen lathe! :D )

Woodwould
14th November 2011, 03:11 PM
Jousting poles!

tea lady
14th November 2011, 10:07 PM
Hello? Anybody? :U

TTIT
14th November 2011, 10:32 PM
I think you need to plug the idea in the general area first TL - nobody will see it hiding here :shrug: - I only stumbled on it by accident :B
PS: I swear you guys wait until I'm at my busiest before you suggest these things :C

tea lady
14th November 2011, 11:25 PM
I think you need to plug the idea in the general area first TL - nobody will see it hiding here :shrug: - I only stumbled on it by accident :B
PS: I swear you guys wait until I'm at my busiest before you suggest these things :COh OK!:cool:

Christos
14th November 2011, 11:27 PM

I saw it here.

PS: I swear you guys wait until I'm at my busiest before you suggest these things :C

I was under the impression that you are always busy?

robo hippy
15th November 2011, 08:16 AM
How about one of these? Have one turner in our club who made one for one of his sons. There are variations that have been called 'milking' stools for milking cows.

One Leg Therapy Stool Autism (http://www.instructables.com/id/One-Leg-Therapy-Stool-Autism/)

robo hippy

tea lady
15th November 2011, 08:38 AM
Well at least you wouldn't have to turn a set of matching legs.:doh::p Look kinda interesting though! Might keep "normal" kids (and geeks) on their toes too! :D)

Sawdust Maker
15th November 2011, 10:46 AM
The things you find on the forums!

Thanks Robo - will be making one of these for my youngest :2tsup:

hughie
15th November 2011, 10:47 AM
Also used in the making of explosives TNT so the guy could not go to sleep.

Ozkaban
15th November 2011, 03:54 PM
Sounds interesting TL :2tsup:

That one legged stool looks very neat too. I have two members of my extended family with differing level of Autism. Will check with relevant parents to see if this would be of assistance... Thanks for posting it :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
16th November 2011, 08:08 AM
Dave

I think it is one of those things, you make it and see if it works and the if the particular ASD kid likes it.

I reckon it would need some padding or 'bumper" stop around the edge to protect furniture etc when they get off, as they would just let it drop

tea lady
16th November 2011, 08:38 AM
So uuuuum........ anyone interested in the furniture challenge? :rolleyes:

If that doesn't appeal how about a rocket challenge! :D

Cliff Rogers
16th November 2011, 09:14 AM
What do you use for fuel?

old pete
16th November 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi Tea Lady,

Great idea having a challenge. Could I suggest that the dimensions of the timber that the challenge piece can be manufactured from be specified so we start of with a fairly flat playing field.

Old Pete

Sturdee
16th November 2011, 02:52 PM
What do you use for fuel?

Batteries.:D

Peter.

smiife
16th November 2011, 07:15 PM
hi guys,
i will be in it ,what do we have to make???????????:2tsup:
cheers smiife

tch'
16th November 2011, 07:31 PM
Sounds good to me, just excuse the noobishness. :)

tea lady
17th November 2011, 12:01 AM
Sounds good to me, just excuse the noobishness. :):2tsup:The more the merrier!

Still don't know what to make though! :doh:

What about some other ideas? I was thinking furniture cos bowls and stuff are done to death! And we would all have some skew practice! :D

smiife
17th November 2011, 08:16 PM
hi guys,
instead of deciding what to make how about determing
the size of the timber,just a thought :;:;
how about a piece of timber the size of a house brick or two?
most people would have that in stock,and let everyone decide
for themselves,what to make :?:?
cheers smiife:2tsup:

tea lady
17th November 2011, 11:03 PM
hi guys,
instead of deciding what to make how about determing
the size of the timber,just a thought :;:;
how about a piece of timber the size of a house brick or two?
most people would have that in stock,and let everyone decide
for themselves,what to make :?:?
cheers smiife:2tsup:Yeah But everyone will make a bowl then.:rolleyes: How about a bit of wood the size of a brick and you make a piece of furniture for a dolls house! :U The it could be a practice for a future larger piece. And I could use up all the pen blanks I seem to have in my stash! :doh::p

KCH
18th November 2011, 12:41 PM
Go for the wood size restriction but add that it cant be a bowl or box.
Maybe a turned toy (dolls house furniture included) for the wish trees you see at the shopping centres.

Kaye

tea lady
18th November 2011, 04:09 PM
Go for the wood size restriction but add that it cant be a bowl or box.
Maybe a turned toy (dolls house furniture included) for the wish trees you see at the shopping centres.

Kaye:think: That sounds like a good idea!:cool: How about-

* make a toy or dolls house furniture using mainly a wood turning lathe (Not a bowl or box cos kids think they are boring! ) Can be one toy or a set.

* wood used the same volume as a brick! As many different types as you like!

* judged by kids?:U (Grandies or kids of forum members perhaps? :think: )

* done by xmas perhaps? :think:

tea lady
20th November 2011, 07:53 PM
So will I presume no one wants to play? :C

jefferson
20th November 2011, 08:05 PM
I'll play if I'm allowed to use the 4 coffee table legs turned for me a while back out of redgum. I'll have to do the joinery and the top. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but more timber than a brick.

Christos
20th November 2011, 08:11 PM
I am interested. It will give me an excuse to do something on the lathe other then destroy wood and make a mess shavings for the garden. :U

Sawdust Maker
20th November 2011, 09:06 PM

I'd like to play but not at the moment - perhaps in the new year
This is why I've not made a project comment - I'd vote for a 3 legged stool

With the dolls house furniture we'd all have to turn into a Ken :) - but I'm willing to have a go but as I said in the new year

Cliff Rogers
20th November 2011, 11:13 PM
:playball:

tea lady
21st November 2011, 08:41 AM
I'll play if I'm allowed to use the 4 coffee table legs turned for me a while back out of redgum. I'll have to do the joinery and the top. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but more timber than a brick.Not quite the spirit cos YOU are supposed to turn them, but if it gets a project finished. :U

I think a three legged stool could be for a kid.:think: Prolly take more than a brick's worth of wood. Maybe a besser brick is OK!:U

Not really fussed about the amount of wood. Just thought a challenge that involved furniture and spindle turning instead of face plate work would be good for a change. :shrug:

smiife
23rd November 2011, 07:11 PM
so is the challenge on and if so is it a stool????
made by xmas,better hurry up the big guy comes in 4 weeks or so:o:o
cheers smiife:2tsup:

Christos
24th November 2011, 07:48 AM
Making a stool out of a brick size piece of wood for me would be interesting. May need to practice on several brick size pieces of wood and some might end up as garden mulcm.

Phil Spencer
24th November 2011, 09:51 AM
How about one of these? i can post the plans if you like.:)

There is about 40 hours work in it and the back spindles would just fit on TL's Tough.

I have knocked out six of them. Every time I make one some one in the family seems to want it.

Ozkaban
24th November 2011, 10:22 AM
Making a stool out of a brick size piece of wood for me would be interesting. May need to practice on several brick size pieces of wood and some might end up as garden mulcm.

Mine would probably end up looking rather more like that other type of stool :-

Sawdust Maker
24th November 2011, 12:36 PM

There is about 40 hours work in it and the back spindles would just fit on TL's Tough.

I have knocked out six of them. Every time I make one some one in the family seems to want it.

I reckon I could make one of those
not sure about getting the spindles the same though :roll:

Phil Spencer
24th November 2011, 01:33 PM
I reckon I could make one of those
not sure about getting the spindles the same though :roll:

This will sort out your spindle turning:D

Phil Spencer
24th November 2011, 01:37 PM
Here you go, You have a week from Saturday to complete it :D

tea lady
24th November 2011, 08:24 PM

Its yuck! :C

I want to make a shaker chair.:cool:

Phil Spencer
24th November 2011, 11:35 PM
Its yuck! :C

I want to make a shaker chair.:cool:
Think of all those spindles to turn! :)

tea lady
25th November 2011, 03:57 PM
What about one of these? :D Even more spindles.:p

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaK5hVj36FSH8hLcL5vYPrRdY6FoJFLtJ0wPaa35e3CiAqhnV8

tea lady
25th November 2011, 03:59 PM
And if you only want to do spindles and no chair seat you could make one of these!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPlbVx-AOYY1gMzsZIDn5AWHnf20l_dyHmW84zm_MqT5r0q0Pw

Phil Spencer
25th November 2011, 04:59 PM
And if you only want to do spindles and no chair seat you could make one of these!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPlbVx-AOYY1gMzsZIDn5AWHnf20l_dyHmW84zm_MqT5r0q0Pw

OK so you know how to turn spindles :laughing1::yikes::cool::laughing1:

Christos
25th November 2011, 09:01 PM
OK so you know how to turn spindles

I don't I just started turning. Just learnt what a spindle is. :hahaha:

tea lady
25th November 2011, 09:17 PM
OK so you know how to turn spindles :laughing1::yikes::cool::laughing1:That's not mine! :doh: But I'm sure I could make one! :p

tea lady
25th November 2011, 09:21 PM
Here we go! Shaker rocking chair plan! :cool:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/item/36139/free-woodworking-plan-build-a-shaker-rocker

Phil Spencer
25th November 2011, 09:58 PM
Here we go! Shaker rocking chair plan! :cool:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/item/36139/free-woodworking-plan-build-a-shaker-rocker

But they are straight spindles! The only difficult thing will be to turn the bent back spindles. with the platform rocker there are all sorts of beads and coves to turn, a good learning exercise, I made one for our Church to raffle raised $1,300.00 :)

tea lady
25th November 2011, 11:59 PM
Don't mind this!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyB5LbflXmxnwA_NVlweTRD8lnV8ftFedhhBHm1cX7vbAwMaF1

KCH
26th November 2011, 08:11 AM
That looks like a torture chair, for sitting on and for turning!

:wink:
Kaye

Phil Spencer
26th November 2011, 08:14 AM
Don't mind this!

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyB5LbflXmxnwA_NVlweTRD8lnV8ftFedhhBHm1cX7vbAwMaF1

That will sort out your beading skills! :D