PDA

View Full Version : A boatbuilders house

dopeydriver
17th November 2011, 10:15 PM
We stayed at a place in Bicheno , which used RAL prefab homes for the main house , which we stayed in , and the other chalets , or whatever you call them.
We were very familiar with them , having planned to build one at our previous farm.
But I think they would be perfect for someone to live in/build boats.
Because they look like an upturned chined boat inside , and they are modular , so are easily changed or added on to.
Here is their site RAL Kit Homes - Summary of the Ral Building System (http://www.ralhomes.com.au/ral.html) . The house we used was a 4 way intercept , with ply interior lining.
I just reckon it would be a natural.
Regards Rob J.

dopeydriver
18th November 2011, 05:47 PM
OK , here are some photos of the RAL house we stayed in at Bicheno .
I reckon they would be perfect for a boat builder.
Rob J.

dopeydriver
19th November 2011, 06:59 AM
No-ones got a comment ?.
I thought it would be a natural for boatbuilding .
Maybe there are better , so lets see them !.
Regards Rob J.

Moe in QLD
19th November 2011, 08:31 AM
I hate to say it but

It reminds me too much of a quonset hut

Scribbly Gum
19th November 2011, 08:44 AM
It is a very interesting concept and seems to be energy efficient as well. Couldn't see from a quick look at the website, but does it have water collection facility from the roof?

dopeydriver
19th November 2011, 08:56 AM
Yes , it does have water collection , but it is low down.
The place we stayed at had its tank buried.
Yes , no doubt it is inspired by the "Nissan Hut" , but thats its beauty , it is easy and very quick to erect , and to change , to add in more modules , or change them around.
We were all very impressed.
My son is an environmental engineer , he was with me when we inspected a smaller house erected from a bare paddock to move in , in a week.
This place was quite big , and airy , we all said we would be happy to move right in , given the chance.
But I'd like to extent on , and build say an Ian Oughtred tender in there.
Regards Rob J.

Moe in QLD
19th November 2011, 09:32 AM
oh I have no issue with the design and functionality of the quonset hut

just bad memories of being woken at 2am by Sgt Max Pain
I'd never get a good night's sleep

dopeydriver
19th November 2011, 09:49 AM
Without going back in to the site , I believe the designer came out from Austria post war , and in all probability spent time in the Bonegilla Nissan huts.
I too have memories of the Nissan huts , from my army days , but they were certainly preferable to sleeping on the ground , in the wet season.
I've seen a few of these now , and only one was "regretable' , the inside ply panels hadn't been secured anything like sufficiently , and bowed.
This one had been built well , and we were impressed.
I just think it would be great to have a boatbuilder add on a couple of modules , for boat building very close handy.
Regards Rob J.

HUON
21st November 2011, 04:02 PM
Reminds me of Bilbo Baggins place, just the place for a hobbit.

dopeydriver
21st November 2011, 04:51 PM
Yes , it is a bit different.
But the longer I stayed in there , the more I liked it.
We are looking for a place right on the coast somewhere , protected , where we could build one.
Rob J.

HUON
22nd November 2011, 12:04 PM
Nothing wrong with different, the building looks strong ( all those arched ceilings). I imagine with some engineering/architectural advice you could put a sod roof over the top or build it into a hill ( just going onto the roof hon to get some parsley for the pasta sauce).
Great insulation not to mention great defence against a bushfire.

dopeydriver
22nd November 2011, 12:10 PM
They actually build some versions for fire prone areas , with shutters and sprinkler systems built in.
If you are anywhere near Ararat , its worth a visit to their factory.
And ask if the bosses work bench is still there , what a beauty that is !.
Rob J.