PDA

View Full Version : Nailing quad to skirting

DavidC
20th January 2005, 09:24 AM
My question to forum is
I have just finnished nailing in my skirting boards and to close the gap between the floor I've decided to use 13mm quad in tas oak or maple
Question what is the best method of fixing to skirting ???

Should I use liquid nails or no nails to stick to skirting or is it ok to skew nails in floor boards ?

silentC
20th January 2005, 09:40 AM
Get yourself some 'caulk in colours' to match the timber. It will be much less noticeable than quad. I had a 50 year old house with the same problem as you and I did it this way.

Once you've done it and walked away, you don't look at it anymore and nobody will ever notice but you. Quad on the other hand is there for all to see.

Gumby
20th January 2005, 09:48 AM
I agree with that, quad looks . Avoid it if you can.
Having said that, if you have to use it, I'd use a small brad nailer at 45 degrees so it goes into the floor, under the skirting board. That shouldn't split the quad and you'll only have very small holes to fill. If you haven't got one, here's your excuse to trundle off to Supercheap Autos and buy one. :eek:

Cliff Rogers
20th January 2005, 09:51 AM
G'day.

I think the idea is to attach it to the wall & not the floor. The floor boards have to be able to expand & shrink with climatic changes. I would press it down into the gap & pin it to the wall with a brad gun, that would close the gap to stop drafts & vermin & still allow the floor to move.

DavidC
20th January 2005, 05:14 PM
problem is getting caulk to match the Cabott's Teak stain I used
what do you recommend what brands Bostick, Selleys ???

simon c
20th January 2005, 05:29 PM
HB Fuller and Selleys do coloured caulk and are available at Bunnies or try their websites:

http://www.au.hbfullerstore.com/FullerstoreAU/en_AU/html/prod_caulk.htm

http://www.selleys.com.au/products/live/303/138.asp

Simon

silentC
20th January 2005, 09:23 PM
Unless you are really very fussy, I would just go for something near enough. No-one is going to get down on their hands and knees and look at it. Go slightly darker if anything because it will be less noticeable as it will be part of the shadow line between the floor and the skirting.

How big are the gaps? I presume we're only talking about a few mm at most?

DavidC
20th January 2005, 10:27 PM
The gaps are relatively large we're talking 10mm in places down to 3mm
Its only along one of the skirting boards.

I thought I may be able to knock the boards up underneath house and put some shims between joists to close 5-10mm gaps then use a caulk filler to fill most of the rest

What are your thoughts

Any other opinions are most welcome as the Baby is coming soon!!

bitingmidge
20th January 2005, 10:58 PM
David,

10mm are pretty big gaps, but if it is only on one wall I'd still tend to agree with Silent, no one will see, particularly once there is a bit of furniture there.

If you go the quad direction, surely you'd have to do the whole house not just that one wall??

If the floor really is out of level, are you sure the wall isn't built on top of it?

If it is only one wall, and you can't live with it, why not bite the bullet and remove the skirt and scribe it?

Cheers,

P

DavidC
20th January 2005, 11:12 PM
Problem is with removing and scribing Ive nailed off with nail bradder and new Gyprock and new laquered skirting boards
What is the best way to pull off wall without dammaging gyprock also I will have more nail holes when re installed

DavidC
20th January 2005, 11:18 PM
I could probably jemmy out one end that ends in wardrobe and work along trouble is I still think I will end up with more nail holes unless I replace skirting a fresh

This is depressing because the lounge and hallway look great !!!!

Just the blasted bedroom

Harry72
20th January 2005, 11:56 PM
Why not just fill the gaps with the same wood as your skirting, hand plane it or power plane it or what ever it takes. You wont even see it if you do it well enough!

DavidC
20th January 2005, 11:59 PM
Cant do that or the poly will come off and have to be restained

glock40sw
21st January 2005, 08:06 AM
G'day.

I would be inclined to just Nut-up & take the pain.
Fill with a coloured filler, throw some furniture in and only you will know it is there. nobody else would ever notice.

As they say "Don't sweat the small stuff.......and....It's all small stuff".
Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
grafton

silentC
21st January 2005, 08:07 AM
For one run of skirting it's not worth all the pain. Just stuff something in the larger gaps, hit it with the caulk and walk away. I remember I had a couple of spots where the gap was getting a bit wide, so I built the bead up with a couple of passes and drying time in between. Probably not 10mm, more like 5mm. Anyway, you could give it a go and see what happens. If you don't like it, you can go with the quad or one of the other suggestions down the track. Bet you don't though ;)

bitingmidge
21st January 2005, 09:49 AM
Yep David, we have consensus.

BOG IT UP!!!

P
:D :D :D

Harry72
23rd January 2005, 01:28 AM
Cant do that or the poly will come off and have to be restained????Huh

Why would the poly come off, what im saying is plane or cut down wood that is of the same type to fill the gaps, you wouldnt need to touch your current skirtings with a plane only the new peice(s) that you'll be adding too it!

conwood
24th January 2005, 01:33 PM
I would put nothing there. As others have said, no-one is going to see. My motto is- the more stuff to put somewhere, the more stuff you have to deal with when it is time to re-fresh... like when the speaker of the house has a brain wave and a new project is on the go.

Quick note on floor skirtings, mine are held in with the smallest nails possible I can pull them of with my hands or with a little force with a chisel. This makes rapainting much easier, and the skirtings can be freshened up in the shed at a comfortable height. You also ends up with clean lines where the different paints meet.

Cheers,
Conwood

Christopha
24th January 2005, 04:27 PM
Sell the house quick cos it's obviously rooted! :eek:

DavidC
25th January 2005, 01:13 AM
Well fellas I managed to get rid of the gaps what I did was get under the house and bang the retched floorboards up around edge of skirting
shimmed the boards and now the gaps are reduced to 2mm
this I'm not going to worry about
I can live with 2mm

It only took me the best of 10mins to get under house and bang boards up

Cheers !!!!

Thanks for youe input

simon c
25th January 2005, 07:53 AM
It only took me the best of 10mins to get under house and bang boards up

That's so often the way, you put off doing something cos you think it'll be hard and when you finally get round to doing it, it's easy and done in no time. And other times, you think you're starting a 15 min job and then wonder where the day went.

Simon

wombat47
25th January 2005, 08:19 AM
If you are sanding the floor, I've heard that you can mix the sawdust with something (glue? silicone?) and use that to fill the gaps. This apparently gives you a colour that matches the floor.

There is probably someone reading this who knows more about it than I do.

Then again, you could buy some synthetic rope in a diameter a bit bigger than the gap and jam that under the skirting board. Would keep out draughts and stop little things being pushed into the underworld (never underestimate the minds of little people). No-one is really going to notice the gap unless you point it out to them.

Taffy
27th January 2005, 09:24 AM
Whos going to notice the gap, How many partys do you have in your BEDROOM :p :p :p