PDA

View Full Version : Just brought a woodfast m910

Murph94
21st November 2011, 09:31 PM
hope fully i have made the right choice as i have been tossing up for a while now , but since im only a weekend turner i thought i would save 2 grand and get the musted monster!

mkypenturner
21st November 2011, 10:06 PM
nice choice :2tsup:

Grommett
21st November 2011, 10:10 PM
I have an old Woodfast C1000, not given me a moments pause. You made a good choice I think.

Pat
22nd November 2011, 04:23 AM
Another victim of the Yellow Peril:; Now nearly every lump of wood you walk by, it'll be I could turn that on the Yellow Peril:2tsup:

artme
22nd November 2011, 07:10 AM
:):):2tsup:

clarky
22nd November 2011, 08:05 AM
Hi, I've got one too, very smooth and powerful, It leaves my cheap Asian MC900 for dead.

hughie
22nd November 2011, 08:46 AM
[hope fully i have made the right choice as i have been tossing up for a while now , but since im only a weekend turner i thought i would save 2 grand and get the musted monster!

total waste of time,totally wrong choice, send it to me. :U

Darn good lathe, :2tsup: it will serve you well for as long as you want. As for weekend turners, well, we are all pretty well in the boat. Working flat out to turn round :U

Oh! and welcome aboard, remember there's no such thing as a dumb question.:2tsup:

nz_carver
22nd November 2011, 08:50 AM
I ask how or whos truck did it full off for you to get it for $2000
When it's $3360 from woodfast

After this weekend I'm looking that way to woodfast all the way

munruben
22nd November 2011, 08:52 AM
Well done.:2tsup:

Jim Carroll
22nd November 2011, 01:08 PM

David maybe thats the price he told the boss it was, :D

Allan at Wallan
22nd November 2011, 01:40 PM

He did say he decided to "save" two grand - not "spend" two
grand. It depends on what he was looking at originally.:roll:

Allan

jimbur
22nd November 2011, 01:41 PM
Well Murph, you're stuck with it.:D My old green woodfast is more than three times your age and is still going strong.
A great buy.
Cheers,
Jim

smiife
22nd November 2011, 07:22 PM
hi murph,
you will not regret buying the 910,i have had mine for 6 months now
and have never looked back,:2tsup: i just wished i had it when i was 17
a looooooong time ago now:o:o
cheers smiife

Murph94
22nd November 2011, 10:30 PM

i got it for 3,846 with a few bits and pieces (you cant just buy one thing when your shopping wood!) i was looking at the powermatic 90th anniversery lathe but to get it to my door from america it was close to 6 grand and i wasent getting half the things as the woodfast!

Murph94
22nd November 2011, 10:34 PM
Well Murph, you're stuck with it.:D My old green woodfast is more than three times your age and is still going strong.
A great buy.
Cheers,
Jim

thanks jiim , i hope im stuck with it forever .. next on my list of wants is a 2 story shed with a living quarters on the second floor!!! workshop down the bottom and house on top!... oh and a dog......who needs to get drunk on weekend and have a girlfriend when you can have a #### load of timber begging to be turned and a work shop :)

powderpost
22nd November 2011, 10:40 PM
I have three Woodfasts, the mc900 bought in 1981. It has worked hard and still sports the original V belt and bearings. Good choice..
Jim

jimbur
23rd November 2011, 10:32 AM
thanks jiim , i hope im stuck with it forever .. next on my list of wants is a 2 story shed with a living quarters on the second floor!!! workshop down the bottom and house on top!... oh and a dog......who needs to get drunk on weekend and have a girlfriend when you can have a #### load of timber begging to be turned and a work shop :)
So you're not going on Schoolies Week then?:D
Cheers,
Jim

callum94
23rd November 2011, 07:31 PM
So you're not going on Schoolies Week then?:D
Cheers,
Jim

Haha no Jim not quite my night out I do like hanging out with mates and what not but I just don't party haha not really my thing ....turning on the other hand......haha god I swear I'm the only 17 year old who would rather be in a shed than partying
Haha

callum94
23rd November 2011, 07:40 PM
I have three Woodfasts, the mc900 bought in 1981. It has worked hard and still sports the original V belt and bearings. Good choice..
Jim

Hey powder post, I have and old woodfast mc 900 but when I brought it , it had a 3 phase motor so I'm currently in the search fornthe right single phase and the right belt :)

tch'
23rd November 2011, 11:44 PM
Haha no Jim not quite my night out I do like hanging out with mates and what not but I just don't party haha not really my thing ....turning on the other hand......haha god I swear I'm the only 17 year old who would rather be in a shed than partying
Haha
I wish was turning when I was 17, but I have probably found turning earlier in my life than most, so I shouldn't complain.

Murph94
24th November 2011, 10:19 PM
I wish was turning when I was 17, but I have probably found turning earlier in my life than most, so I shouldn't complain.

better late than never i spose ... atleast we found our hoppy/profession i would have no idea what i would be doing if i dident start this .... shooting up meth..... haha no not really

Paul39
25th November 2011, 11:34 AM
Hey powder post, I have and old woodfast mc 900 but when I brought it , it had a 3 phase motor so I'm currently in the search fornthe right single phase and the right belt :)

If your 3 phase is in working condition, consider a Variable Frequency Drive.

See: Variable-frequency drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive)

variable frequency drive - Google Search (http://www.google.com.au/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=variable+frequency+drive&gbv=1&ei=WuDOTvmqKoTb0QH52_1E)

Practical Machinist Forum has a thread dealing with VFDs:

Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD - Practical Machinist - Largest Manufacturing Technology Forum on the Web (http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-vfd/)

I have posted on this forum about VFDs, do a search.

Buying a VFD and using your 3 phase may be cheaper than buying a single phase motor, and you will have all the advantages of: variable speed, setable ramp up speed, setable ramp down speed or coast down, reverse, and others.

Pat
20th December 2011, 05:21 AM
I finally got around to taking some pics of my M910.

I use magnets to keep chuck spanners and keys readily accessible on the lathe body and a 6" rule and scribe on the headstock.

At the Tailstock end, I have the Lathe controls, another spanner and a Inside/Outside caliper. I also have the 1/16" parting tool on the bench, so I do not lose it again:doh:
On the Lathe body, I have bored a few holes to accommodate a couple tool rests (Irons Tool Gate and 100mm tool rest), Live Centres, Jacobs chuck + Key, Vermec Spindle, Woodfast drive and the Knock out bar.

The other 2 pics are of me being especially lazy.

Murph94
20th December 2011, 03:29 PM
Thats a Great idea where you have drilled the holes into the bed !! .... definitley going to do that myself :)... ill have to put some pics up of some of the work i have done on it so far... love the lathe though , god i have put it through its paces so far haha nothing small has be done on it yet :) every thing has to be over 400mm other wise whats the point right >? hahaha

Murph94
20th December 2011, 09:20 PM
I finally got around to taking some pics of my M910.

I use magnets to keep chuck spanners and keys readily accessible on the lathe body and a 6" rule and scribe on the headstock.

At the Tailstock end, I have the Lathe controls, another spanner and a Inside/Outside caliper. I also have the 1/16" parting tool on the bench, so I do not lose it again:doh:
On the Lathe body, I have bored a few holes to accommodate a couple tool rests (Irons Tool Gate and 100mm tool rest), Live Centres, Jacobs chuck + Key, Vermec Spindle, Woodfast drive and the Knock out bar.

The other 2 pics are of me being especially lazy.

P.S in the picture lathe.01 your handle that you use to lock your outboard tool rest should be under the bed exstension.. :)