PDA

View Full Version : non powered sanders

vk4
27th November 2011, 08:54 PM
HI all,

I have been doing a bit in the SHED, and thought I'd share my latest home made tools.

These are unpowered rotary sanders, I know that you can buy these ready made, but the cost is prohibitive for me , so made my own.

Cost was $10.00 for the 2 , all the materials were purchased expect the wood.

Large 1's 60mm, and the small is 50mm , I have tested them and they work beautifully.

Jeff
vk4

Sawdust Maker
27th November 2011, 09:35 PM
Jeff

nice work
It's always good to use tools you made yourself :2tsup:

thumb trimmer
27th November 2011, 11:00 PM
Hi Jeff,

The sanders look good ... been thinking about making some myself.
How'd you make the foam ends? ie. what type pf foam d'you use, and how'd you attach the 'disc with foam' to the handle???

Thanks

vk4
28th November 2011, 01:08 AM
T T ,

The foam is from CLARK RUBBER< it is a high density foam used for yoga mats , and is non absorbent ,.

The sanding head can be attached a couple of ways, I used a bearing with a 6mm center hole and a 6mm bolt , with a couple of nuts.

1 make the handle & head pieces
2 drill a 5mm hole in the handle and counter sink each side to take a nut& washer
3 drill and turn a recess in the head for the bearing (tight fit) with space for a nut behind.
4 fit the bolt through the handle and secure with a nut&washer (superglue in place)
5 thread a second nut onto the bolt place the Bearing on and the last nut
6 tighten the 2 nuts to lock to the center of the bearing trim the bolt, and center punch the thread on the last nut (stops it coming undone)
7 insert the bearing into the sanding head ,ensure that it spins freely.
8 if all is good a couple of drops of Superglue, Foam can be glued on and spun against a disc sander to true the foam, then add the velcro .

there you have-it .

Jeff

munruben
28th November 2011, 07:45 AM
Nice work.:2tsup:

thumb trimmer
28th November 2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks Jeff ... it's definitely on the to-do list ... unfortunantely SWMBO has added a number of things reently which apparently sit above these.

:(