PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

Simplicity
29th November 2011, 08:55 PM
Hi
I am thinking very hard about building a container ship home.
Iv'e at look on the net and well i'm very surprised and very excited about the idea.
I'm soon to sell my current property and would love the idea of buying some land in the Yarra Ranges or Mount Dandenong area in Victoria.
i've renovated a few houses over the years, quite big renovation ie $50,000 plus, so I'm not green to it. :roll::roll:
but my question problem is and this may seem funny
i have know idea how to a approach council, what to ask for were to go what to do
i would love to just get and idea what to do how are councils in these areas to new ideas of building extra
the physical work of making containers in a home I'm not bothered with
its just the paper work stuff i've never been down that road or has any friends or family
how do i draw up plans for such a dwelling too i have to get draft person in to draw up plans and submit them extra ?
and please excuse my poor grammar

Jim Carroll
3rd December 2011, 12:48 PM
Go to your local council planning department and find out first if you can do it.

If they say a tentative yes the ask what is required is there a check list etc.

If they say no do not fight it as it can get very unpleasant, they are a law unto themselves.

Grandad-5
5th December 2011, 10:45 AM
Ditto to Jim above.
A quiet conversation with the town planning/building depts is a good start.

The last I heard, you could draw your own plans up if they were for your building. You had to be a licensed draftsman only if you wanted to do plans for other people.
I built in Montrose some years back and found the Shire of Yarra Ranges quite pleasant to deal with. Of course, things can change.

I suspect your biggest hassle will be satisfying the 3 star, or however many stars are currently needed, requirements.
The first step in that is understanding what is needed. Good luck with that one. I find the whole thing very confusing.

Cheers
Jim

Simplicity
19th December 2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks for that

chambezio
19th December 2011, 07:03 PM
Please don't take this to heart. It is just an observation reading through your Post
You haven't really made things clear as to what you want to do. I am understanding that you want to build a house using shipping containers in a modular form to create a livable house.Is that correct?
Before you approach council I think you will need to show them (with sketches/drawings) that you have a clear idea of what you want. Gone are the days that you could go to the building department with an idea and they would give you nod as to whether it was feasible or not. They are petrified that you will come back and say"But you said it would be OK". I think you would have to be pretty organised with your ideas/construction methods to give the council bloke enough confidence to look over your proposal.
I think I would even talk to an Engineer informally to get an impression from his side of things. You see you are veering away from the norm and this is an area that the decision makers will want to palm you off to some one else. This is why I think you should do a fair bit of home work your self first to be well equipped to talk authoritatively to the council.
You will have to address things like thermal properties in construction as well as conforming to building regulations.
It could be a very rocky road if you go in "half cocked". Remember too, try not to ruffle their feathers as they can make your building experience a real nightmare.
When you have gotten all your home work sorted out go over your costings thoroughly as this exercise away from the norm could prove to be expensive.
I hope I don't sound like a total "wet blanket" but I just feel you should tread lightly now be fore you commit hard earned cash to the project.
Please keep us informed as to your progress as it could prove to be very interesting