PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Travelling Mug.

Sturdee
1st December 2011, 06:25 PM
Well over a year ago I obtained the instructions on how to make a segmented travelling mug cover and I have finally found the time to make one.

As a picture says a thousand words here are some photos.

Photo 1 shows the finished item, photo 2 shows the base and photo 3 shows the inside. Timber for the lighter strips is European beech, the base is Philipine mahogany and the main strips is unknown wood ( from one of my recycling trips :D).

Item was sanded to 600 and then finished with 6 coats of satin Minwax wipe on poly.

Enjoy.

Peter.

Sturdee
1st December 2011, 06:30 PM
Having made one I have started to make another (without the minor imperfections) as a present.

It will be of the same timber and the same finish. Here are a few WIP photos.

Photo 1 shows the segmented ring of timber and photo 2 shows the glued up item on the lathe ready for shaping the inside and turning of the outside.

Peter.

wheelinround
1st December 2011, 06:42 PM
Peter like the way the segmentation looks as though its been bent to suit such clean lines. :2tsup:

Hows the Index jig going ?

Sturdee
1st December 2011, 06:52 PM
Hows the Index jig going ?

Currently on the back burner, got tied up with the mini lathe, making a few extra toolrests, the pendant chuck and making Christmas presents.

The second travelling mug is a Christmas present.

Peter.

artme
1st December 2011, 08:49 PM
Good job! Adds interest to an otherwise plain object!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

mkypenturner
1st December 2011, 08:59 PM
really nice :2tsup: im suprised neil ( dai sensai ) hasn't tried to cast straight onto it and turn excess off :D im sure he will find this post and accept this new challenge

powderpost
1st December 2011, 09:24 PM
Looking good.. :2tsup:
Jim

Sawdust Maker
1st December 2011, 09:40 PM
So I'm not the only one to buy a kit and look at it for a year or more

Nice work :2tsup:

vk4
1st December 2011, 09:56 PM
Very nice , where did you get the mug insert???
I would like to do a few done myself.

jeff

joe greiner
1st December 2011, 10:54 PM
Nice. I usually wrap the hose clamps the other way around, so the free ends are less likely to buckle when they hit my hand; and bruise rather than cut.:D

Cheers,
Joe

wheelinround
2nd December 2011, 07:26 AM

:B:no:

munruben
2nd December 2011, 09:00 AM
Nice work Peter, will make a lovely present indeed.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sturdee
2nd December 2011, 09:06 AM

The worst part was I not only had the mug but also a 9 page detailed set of instructions on how to do it. If you want a copy sent me your email address and i'll send the pdf file.

Peter.

Sturdee
2nd December 2011, 09:08 AM
Very nice , where did you get the mug insert???
I would like to do a few done myself.

jeff

I bought mine from Pop's shed but I think Gary Pye and Vermec sell them as well. You usually find them under craft supplies on their websites.

Peter.

Sturdee
2nd December 2011, 09:11 AM
Nice. I usually wrap the hose clamps the other way around, so the free ends are less likely to buckle when they hit my hand; and bruise rather than cut.:D

Cheers,
Joe

Joe,

The clamps are still on from the glue up part, just finished glueing the base plug in. I'll keep the clamps on whilst hollowing out the inside for the mug insert and then remove them for shaping the outside.

Thus the clamp ends are not a problem.

Peter.

Sturdee
2nd December 2011, 04:11 PM
Finished turning the second one this afternoon. Here are some more pictures.

Photo 1 shows the hollowing done. The mug is a nice tight fit.

Photo 2 shows the 3" plug I made for the revolving centre to hold the mug. My large metal one slides into the plug and it's a tight fit.

Photo 3 shows it ready for shaping the outside.

Photo 4 shows the mug reverse chucked ready for finishing the bottom using my cone chuck. :2tsup: Worth the time and effort in making this chuck as it has come in handy quite a few times.

Photo 5 finished item ready for the many coats of wipe on poly.

The main lessons learned from the first one and applied with this one are:

1. Not to cut the angles for laminating on a table saw but using a router bit. As Michelle will be making a few as well I got the bit from Carbitool.

2. Use the shark jaws for holding rather than the dovetail jaws.

3. Make the 3" plug for the revolving centre.

Peter.

hdholden
2nd December 2011, 05:48 PM
Looks absolutely wonderful to me and I'm only a beginner.

Much better than those horrible plastic ones.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd December 2011, 04:01 AM
:2tsup:

What can I say? The phrase "leaps and bounds" springs to mind.

Paulphot
5th December 2011, 11:04 PM
Lovely job, it took me about 18 months and three attempts before getting mine finished...not perfected...just finished. I ended up using a single block of camphor laurel but when I was turning it, I found lots of voids...put there by some random drill bits...that needed plugs and filler. It's very rustic but works. Might get a router bit and try another.

coffenup
6th December 2011, 09:46 PM
sturdee
where did you the plans for this from
Regards Michael

Sturdee
6th December 2011, 10:29 PM
sturdee
where did you the plans for this from
Regards Michael

At the 2010 Melbourne WWW Show John Scarfe was demonstrating how to do this at the Vermec stand using their lathes etc. They were giving out copies to those that bought the mug insert at the show.

When I got around to getting the instructions they were all gone but John sent one to me by email, hence I got the pdf file on my computer. If you like a copy send me your email address.

Peter.