PDA

View Full Version : Fiji Cruise

John Saxton
2nd December 2011, 09:08 PM
Looking forward to doing some diving/snorkelling once we get to Fiji however I wonder what else there is to do around the islands.

This is a chance(with a cruise) for us to explore what the Fijian islands offer up ,I'm keen to explore the seas but also look forward to seeing how the Fijians go about their daily lives.

A lot of us here in Oz like to see these islands within our Pacific region but this is one area I've yet to experience ,has any of our folk here on the forums
got anything to offer up that might enrich our time there?

TIA

Cheers:)

dai sensei
2nd December 2011, 11:31 PM
I have been on the tui tai (http://tuitai.com/) a few times and recommend it.

The prices seem to have jumped a fair bit in recent years, but it was a luxury boat. The boat calls in at a number of the outer islands to "experience" lifestyle. It also sometimes does community work - help build school house, drop of books and medicines etc. It also is an "adventure" cruise, you can do all sorts of things whilst on the boat, not just diving.

Cheers

John Saxton
4th December 2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks Neil for the heads up on the tui tai this looks like a worthy adventure.

I'm seriously looking at putting this suggestion of yours in the mix as an option whilst we're there in the islands.

Got a few days in the Fijian islands, am still looking at what different sites have to offer in the way of filling our time there.

dai sensei
4th December 2011, 08:43 PM
Most of the dive sites around the main islands are pretty average, you need to get out to the outer islands to experience those "amazing" dives.

If you are interested in sharks however, fijisharkdive (http://www.fijisharkdive.com/) offer one of the best dives in the world, they also do a wreck dive that's not bad I'm told (I haven't actually done that one). If your not confident with sharks, all dives are supervised with "guards", that will make you feel safer.

Not exactly cheap, especially when you look into the costs of accomodation in the area and taxi to get there, but certainly worth the once off experience. The Pearl is the best place to stay, but it is a luxury hotel, with a price to match :-. The females of the family will love the day spa facilities.

If you are into orchids, the botanical gardens in Nadi are worth a visit. I remember I did a mini bus tour that included the gardens, villages with markets, and lunch up on the hill over Nadi. Fishing is also generally good for a 1/2 day of full day trip.

Cheers

munruben
16th December 2011, 07:36 PM
I went to Fiji many years ago so can't advise what its like now. If you decide on a cruise it is best to travel after the cyclone season. We did a cruise a couple of years ago and destination was Villa but unfortunately the weather turned bad and this part of the trip was aborted. Also a cruise to Fiji was cancelled due to the weather... From memory I think ti was early in the year when we travelled so it is well worth taking that into consideration when booking.
Of course the cheap cruises are in those risky weather seasons.

John Saxton
27th January 2012, 03:57 PM
I went to Fiji many years ago so can't advise what its like now. If you decide on a cruise it is best to travel after the cyclone season. We did a cruise a couple of years ago and destination was Villa but unfortunately the weather turned bad and this part of the trip was aborted. Also a cruise to Fiji was cancelled due to the weather... From memory I think ti was early in the year when we travelled so it is well worth taking that into consideration when booking.
Of course the cheap cruises are in those risky weather seasons.

It looks like they are having weather similar to Qld/NSW at the moment with floods affecting Nadi and other parts good reason to go by ship I guess.