PDA

View Full Version : 1916 Wood Shop

Paul39
7th December 2011, 11:54 AM
Leg Factory: 1916 | Shorpy Historical Photo Archive (http://www.shorpy.com/node/5308) Click on VIEW HI-DEF IMAGE (http://www.shorpy.com/node/5308?size=_original) for big photo.

Looks like the lathe was a metal lathe with the lead screw removed. I would kill for either of the band saws in back. I wouldn't mind one of the big vises either.

hughie
7th December 2011, 12:57 PM
Thats a big bandsaw :o I wish, I wish.:U

RETIRED
7th December 2011, 01:16 PM
It is an early copy lathe. The wheel works on a rack and pinion and the tool has a stylus that follows a template.

ticklingmedusa
7th December 2011, 02:05 PM
Given current events I found this very timely.
Thanks for sharing it Paul. :2tsup:

artme
7th December 2011, 06:50 PM
Wot bandsaws:? Aha! Those bandsaws!:o

Some bed on that lathe!

Love the ceiling too!:)

Roger C
7th December 2011, 07:40 PM
Hi Must investegate this and see if I can make one for myself as a joke to replace the stainless steel I have at present when demoing turning lol

cookie48
7th December 2011, 09:26 PM
Rekon you could get a leg up in there.. The ceiling is great old pressed steel, they should still be made .

dr4g0nfly
8th December 2011, 05:51 AM
What a fantastic photo. You'd have trouble getting that resolution from a modern digital camera.

All that workshop just to prep the blanks for seasoning - wow.

And the last thing that springs to mind, all those stains on the metal plate ceiling, looking at all that open machinery and belts I just hope it's paint or stain!

NeilS
8th December 2011, 11:43 AM
Hi Must investegate this and see if I can make one for myself as a joke to replace the stainless steel I have at present when demoing turning lol

Roger - Welcome to the woodturners corner of the forums.

Looking forward to your ongoing contributions.

_____

Paul - I'll pass on the lathe, but just love that bandsaw.

RETIRED
8th December 2011, 11:56 AM
_____

Paul - I'll pass on the lathe, but just love that bandsaw.1 or both?

NeilS
8th December 2011, 03:43 PM
1 or both?

Both please... :rolleyes:... but if just one then the one on the right as it has a smidged more cutting height.

But if it had to be the one on the left I could live with that extra large diameter wheel which would do very nicely ripping logs with a 75mm resaw blade...:)

Mr Brush
8th December 2011, 04:29 PM
Looking at all those open belts......I can't help wondering if this company offered a staff discount ? :oo:

wheelinround
8th December 2011, 04:34 PM
Looking at all those open belts......I can't help wondering if this company offered a staff discount ? :oo:

John they used to get a discount at the Arms Race :p

RETIRED
8th December 2011, 06:54 PM
My first taste of a machine shop was my "Uncles" (remember when family friends were all Uncles or Aunts?) machine shop.

It had line shafts everywhere and I fell in love with them. Nothing beats the sound of everything going and idler pulleys rattling.

I still like line shafts and worked on quite a few in sawmills in the early seventies.

I might add that my Uncle didn't have a line shaft accident in 30 years of operation.

RETIRED
8th December 2011, 06:56 PM
Both please... :rolleyes:... but if just one then the one on the right as it has a smidged more cutting height.

But if it had to be the one on the left I could live with that extra large diameter wheel which would do very nicely ripping logs with a 75mm resaw blade...:)Greedy bugger.:D

Twould be nice eh?:cool: