PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Oil and CA glue

govarney
7th December 2011, 11:37 PM
I was very interested to read in issue 233 of Woodturning magazine the following tip.

"If you need to repair a small hairline crack or strengthen a punky section of the piece, apply lemon oil to the area before applying the CA adhesive. The oil won't stop the glue from working but it will stop it from staining the wood."

I've certainly used CA glue to fill cracks etc but this is first time I've seen the use of lemon oil.

Has anyone tried it ?

mkypenturner
8th December 2011, 12:03 AM
no idea at all but will be watching this threrad to see what replies you get

cornucopia
8th December 2011, 05:16 AM
that was my article

I’ve used lemon oil for years as I prefer a matt finish and its dead easy to apply and dries quickly
when I started selling my work I soon realised that lemon oil wasn’t a good choice as it needs to be topped up every 6 months or so- so I now use woodoc 10 which gives a satin/matt finish but unlike lemon oil is very hard wearing and lasts a long while. but old habits die hard and I still use lemon oil to stop the CA staining the wood and I also use it when the hollow form first comes of the lathe and is still green I apply lemon oil to stop any mucky fingerprints but it also doesn’t seal the wood so it carries on drying.
I've yet to find any finish which you can’t apply over lemon oil so it doesn’t limit my choice there either.

I know the tip will also work with chestnuts food safe finish (essentially mineral oil I believe) and acrylic spray sealer- there's probably others but those two I know definitely work

dr4g0nfly
8th December 2011, 05:45 AM
Cornucopia can I ask, is the Lemon Oil you use the Chestnut stuff, which I've assumed is a lemon scented oil in a standard mineral oil or is it a speciality 'Real' lemon Oil.

Thanks,

cornucopia
8th December 2011, 05:59 AM
originally i use to use the Robert sorby lemon oil but that got harder to find and I belive Turners retreat are the only u.k stockist now- I now use the chestnut stuff and i belive it is made using lemongrass not just a lemon scent.