PDA

View Full Version : DIY wiping varnish

old_picker
8th December 2011, 08:41 AM
is there anyone using their own brew??
the commercial stuff goes off in the can pretty quickly so a lot of waste unless you are using it constantly - making it in small batches should save $$

it looks like a pretty simple recipe so i am going to start using my own -
my research shows that most DIY brews use thinners but i have seen the odd one using turps

roughly they go
poly 1
thinners 2
or
poly 1
thinners 3

turps or thinners?? what are the advanatages or disasdvantages of the two

Lyle
8th December 2011, 11:57 AM
I know it is not varnish.
Have you tried the Wipe On Poly. Available at Bunnings.
I have used it and am a convert so far, fingers crossed. Have used it on Aust Red cedar and silky oak and camphour, with excellent results.
Filled grain with shellac then sanded down, then a few coats of WOP, depending on level of finish required.
My cans have lasted ages without degradation.

I'm not a convert to home brew mixes, as I invariably forget what is in the mixed bottle.

Lyle.

PS sorry I see you have another thread re WOP, so you've obviously used it before. I'll take my foot out of my mouth oneday.

old_picker
8th December 2011, 01:08 PM
varnish / poly i know there is a difference but you put wipe on poly into a search and all you get is stuff related to minwax WOP

i bought a can of this and used it on a small job then sealed it up pretty good i thought
went back a few months later and it was pretty much like jelly
paid a bit for it so not happy

i generally mark my bottles but with this stuff i will make a small batch for a single job and expect to throw out what is left

btw does WOP raise nibs on 1st application??

ropata
10th January 2012, 10:04 AM
varnish / poly i know there is a difference but you put wipe on poly into a search and all you get is stuff related to minwax WOP

i bought a can of this and used it on a small job then sealed it up pretty good i thought
went back a few months later and it was pretty much like jelly
paid a bit for it so not happy

i generally mark my bottles but with this stuff i will make a small batch for a single job and expect to throw out what is left

btw does WOP raise nibs on 1st application??
I have been using a wipe on mix of 50-50 poly/turps on most of my projects (have been practicing spraying but not game enough yet to commit) i always wipe with a damp cloth just before the final 240 sand to raise the grain up then let dry and final sand. With the 50-50 mix i find i can do a coat every hour or so with no sanding inbetween (a lot of coats required for a good finish though). I keep mine in a jam jar and only mix up what i need. As soon as my spraying is up to par it should save me a lot of time.

Paulphot
11th January 2012, 12:58 AM
I bought a can of Minwax WOP gloss about 18 months ago in Canberra, only used about 1/3 and even after moving to Victoria, no problem with it going off or turning to jelly. I generally don't use it as a first coat so I can't comment on it raising the grain but I would imagine that it would raise it a bit.