PDA

View Full Version : Turning Branches?

lewisc
8th December 2011, 08:42 PM
Is there anything I should know about turning a branch?

I've just gotten a huge load of Tasmanian Blackwood with about 10 branches of varying diameter. I was thinking about doing some rolling pins.

sjm
9th December 2011, 08:27 AM
Wet or dry? Green is fun to practice with, but it'll move and crack as it dries out, so don't expect it to be useful in 6 months time. If it's been dead for a few years, it's probably dry enough to turn to a final size right away. If possible, split it down the center so you're not including the pith.

lewisc
9th December 2011, 10:57 AM
Dry. the guy I got it from had it sitting for over 25 years.

issatree
9th December 2011, 11:13 AM
Hi lewisc,
It is mostly what I use, & B'wood does make decent Rolling Pins.
Just make sure that the Handles are right, as that is where all the Complaints come from.
I haven't had a look, but Google could be your friend on a design shape.
Neil's U-Beaut " Food Safe " Oil would be a good finish.
Then you have Spurtles, Honey Dippers, Pens. Spinning Tops, etc.
Just Google " Wooden Articles ".

lewisc
9th December 2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks, will defiantly look into handle designs. I just found some that don't have handles, I might have a go at them as well.

I turned a few baseball bats last year and have had a go at some pens this year. I'll hopefully get a bit more time in the summer to try some things.

For the finish, I was planning on using the one I do for chopping boards - paraffin(mineral) oil and beeswax. It comes up well and is food safe. I'll have a look for some of that Neils u-Bueat Oil to see what it's like though.

Cheers.

Robson Valley
27th December 2011, 05:01 PM
lewisc: forget the handles altogether. I have two 10cm pins where the handles broke off = never miss them. I can stand the pins on end for a insignificant footprint when I'm baking. Need a serious 15+cm x 40cm pin. No hole. No silly handles.

issatree
27th December 2011, 08:07 PM
Hi Again LewisC,
As RV said, French Rolling Pins are approx. 60mm. in the Centre, + are Curved, & a bit Thinner on the Ends, & No Handles.
That should be a good idea.
They would be very quick to make as well.

I would be a bit careful making BB Bats, as those 14/15 yr. olds love them & you know what for.

I was asked to Make some BBBats some yrs ago by 5 Boys in that Age Group.
I just told them I didn't have any Balsa Wood. "
" We don't want Balsa Ones, we want 1/2 Size ones ". Yeh. like I was Born Yesterday.