PDA

View Full Version : Hello! -new member from Sydney

Anka
12th December 2011, 03:21 PM
I am a new member to this forum -although not at all a new pyrographer. I am thrilled to have stumbled upon this website and to realise that there are relatively many of us around (for a while I thought I was the only pyrographer in Australia, except Sue Walter!!!! :doh:-just joking:no:).
It was great to read some of the old threads and find out about new (to me) techniques like David’s gouache colouring. I guess no matter how experienced you are in one area there is always room for improvement and you can truly learn something new every day.
I got a bit disappointed as I tried to sell some of my work at various markets around Sydney and the most common reaction I got was “I have never seen anything like this before” –hence the impression that I was all alone...
Not anymore!
Now, I guess I am pushing my luck here, but I will ask this anyhow:
1. Is there any pyrography club/association in Sydney (not general woodworking)?
2. Was there ever any pyrography exhibition organised in Sydney?
3. Where does one exhibit and/or sell pyrography in Sydney (other than markets)?
If there was not much done until now in these areas, should we think of organising something along these lines?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on that.
Happy burning:U
Anka

vk4
13th December 2011, 01:02 PM
ANKA,
Welcome to the forum.
Most wood crafter / wood-turning clubs , include Pyrography , just check out on Google where your nearest club is.

Jeff

David Stanley
15th December 2011, 10:23 AM
Anka, as vk4 has said most woodcraft groups would have a pyrographer or two in their midst. I belong to Hawkesbury Woodcraft Cooperative and Riverview Woodcrafters and each club has a few who do pyrography.

The best place for exhibiting work is in local shows that have a pyrography section in their schedule. For example the Hawkesbury Show. The Sydney Timber and Working with Wood Show also has a pyrography section.

wheelinround
15th December 2011, 06:54 PM
Welcome Anka as said by Vk4 and David they are out there.

Where abouts in Sydney are you it will help pin point somewhere for you to go.

Anka
18th December 2011, 09:48 AM
Thank you all for your replies and warm welcome!
To answer your question wheelinround, I am based in Ryde area. I have contacted the Hornsby Men's Shed and I will find more about it when they resume their activity for 2012. If you know of anything else closer to me though, please let me know.

Unfortunately, David, as much as I would love to participate, the Working with Wood show is prohibitive for me (as exhibitor) as it is way over my budget.

I exhibited at the St Ives Agricultural show but my work was the only one under the ‘pyrography’ section (at least that way I was judged the best pyrographer in show :U). I participated in a couple of other art exhibitions around Sydney, but everywhere I received the ambivalent “I have never seen anything like this before” comment, even from the organisers.

All these things made me think that if there are any pyrographers in Sydney or NSW willing to exhibit, we should try and organise an exclusive exhibition that would raise public awareness for this form of art.

wheelinround
18th December 2011, 09:56 AM
Ryde well that sticks you right in the middle of a lot of situations but getting to them is the problem.

I reckon you and David could do a show on your own.

Lanecove Men shed is also close by

David Stanley
18th December 2011, 12:17 PM
Unfortunately, David, as much as I would love to participate, the Working with Wood show is prohibitive for me (as exhibitor) as it is way over my budget.

I exhibited at the St Ives Agricultural show but my work was the only one under the ‘pyrography’ section (at least that way I was judged the best pyrographer in show :U.

All these things made me think that if there are any pyrographers in Sydney or NSW willing to exhibit, we should try and organise an exclusive exhibition that would raise public awareness for this form of art.

Entry in the Sydney Timber and Working with Wood Show's (http://www.eee.net.au/index.php/sydney-competitions.html) 'Putting Timber on Show in NSW, Woodworking Competition' (http://www.eee.net.au/index.php/sydney-competitions.html) is free. The prize money is generous and is awarded in various categories in which sufficient entries are made to have a stand alone competition for that category.

The competition is in association with Forests NSW and The Sydney Timber and Working with Wood Shows.

Hawkesbury Show has a Pyrography Section in its Craft Section.

( 126 th Hawkesbury Show 27th – 29th April 2012 Section 16 Craft (http://www.hawkesburyshow.com.au) )

I personally, have been truthfully told, that I couldn't even organise a chook raffle... Hmmm, how would you go about doing that?.. Would you start with an egg?

Anka
18th December 2011, 09:06 PM
Ryde well that sticks you right in the middle of a lot of situations but getting to them is the problem.

I reckon you and David could do a show on your own.

Lanecove Men shed is also close by

That is exactly my feeling: I am in the middle of Sydney but most opportunities are far away from my place... I will have a look at Lane Cove, thank you.

David, some would argue that you should start with a chicken and not with an egg:U...
As for the Working with Wood competitions, thank you for that, it sounds terribly interesting! I made an enquiry at the beginning of this year, when I got a quote for a stall at the show (hence my previous comment)... no mention of the competitions. I guess it was just miscommunication –I always blame my English for that.
Also, the Hawkesbury Show sounds interesting and I will do my best to participate -thank you.
Do you participate in the Easter Show competitions?

David Stanley
18th December 2011, 09:48 PM
David... Do you participate in the Easter Show competitions?

I haven't been to the Royal Easter Show for some time... When I did, the woodcrafts were pretty light on in general. I think pyrography would be particularly alien there and it would be best to stick to venues where they at least know what it is.

You would probably need about six or so individual persons entering pyrography works in a craft show a few years running for enough notice to be taken to get an individual category in that show.., only a guess.