PDA

View Full Version : Jet Contractor Table Saw

peter
24th January 2005, 12:21 PM
:confused: I just got myself a Jet contractor table saw to replace my old triton mk3, what an improvement..... Anyway, I would like to hear from anyone who has this table saw as I find that when I turn on the saw there is a loud thump as the belt hits the belt guard. It only happens for a split second and I have played with the belt and the guard but still find the initial starting causes the belt to flex and hit the guard. Any feedback would be great.

Regards,

Peter.

craigb
24th January 2005, 12:39 PM
I think that Midge has one.

bitingmidge
24th January 2005, 12:50 PM
Peter,

Years down the track and I still marvel at the difference!

I think the problem is simply that the belt has got a bit stiff and is now oval shaped. I had a similar thing after a year in storage, but it seemed to sort itself out with a bit of use.

My Drill Press is particularly prone, probably because the size of the pulleys is so much smaller, leaving a bit of a kink.

I haven't tried to soften the belt, but I suspect a bit of warmth would do the trick. On the other hand, one day I may replace all machinery belts with linked ones like this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000DD1VK/002-2477814-1637641?v=glance which should overcome the problem.

Anyone with any experience with linked belts?

Cheers,

P
:D

craigb
24th January 2005, 01:13 PM
Anyone with any experience with linked belts?

Sounds downright kinky :eek:

peter
24th January 2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the advice, sounds like I shouldn't worry too much about the noise at this stage.

Cheers,

Peter.

bitingmidge
24th January 2005, 02:20 PM
Sounds downright kinky :eek:

Well actually, I was hoping for the opposite!!!

Cheers,

P :D

gpsmith
24th January 2005, 04:01 PM
I have a jet supersaw and mine makes a clunking sound when slowing to a stop. The guy who set it up said that it is when the belt is new and tight. It is supposed to go when the saw has been run in. I don't know how long that takes.
Unfortunately, I have not had much time to use it over Christmas. I agree that it is a big step up from the triton.

Greg

Stubchain
24th January 2005, 09:23 PM
I have taken delivery of a Jet Table Saw this afternoon. beem spending some time setting it up. So far it looks very good, checked the blade runout etc, all to within the makers test results that came with the saw.

I still have to install the wings and the fence.

As far as linked belts go I would steer well clear of them, even the newer ones made of synthetic materials.

I used to run a workshop that was full of linked belts, we were forever adjusting them, taking links out because they stretch and stretch and stretch and then stretch some more. Finally they stretch that much that the metal part of the links start to rub on the pully wheels and wears them away. Lost count how many pullys we replaced over the years. Why did we use them you ask, well most the equipment were were running was over 40 years old and non standard belt sizes so it was our best option. Stay we away from them.

Stubchain
24th January 2005, 09:29 PM
I would like some advice on how to keep the top clean and shiney. Also what is the best way to prepare the top for first time use, do I use a scouring pad of steel wool etc.

bitingmidge
24th January 2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks Stubchain,

I'll stay away as directed! Has anyone got any magic belt that will stay infinitely flexible? Or do I just have to run every machine for half an hour a weekend? :D

Cheers,

P

markharrison
24th January 2005, 10:13 PM
Stubchain,

I use wax. Just about anything will do but avoid car waxes as they frequently contain silicon which can have adverse effects on film finishes.

I use Liberon Lubricating Wax and it has worked the best for me and I live in an area affected by salt laden moisture.

Regards,

Mark

markharrison
24th January 2005, 10:14 PM
Link belts are said to avoid the problems you are experiencing. I've not had a problem with standard belts though.

bitingmidge
24th January 2005, 10:29 PM
I would like some advice on how to keep the top clean and shiney. Also what is the best way to prepare the top for first time use, do I use a scouring pad of steel wool etc.

There is a product called Silverglide available from Carbatec for the purpose, and like others on this BB I've found it to be very good. Others use U-Beaut Traditional Wax.

I also live in a very salt laden, moist environment (most midges do) and cover the top with a sheet of 4mm ply to keep most of the damp off it.

I can't see why the top would need anything more than a clean with spirits to get the packaging wax/goo off it.

I have just given my band saw (yesterday) a good going over as it had a few slight rust spots starting to appear (wet timber and didn't re-wax!). I used a scourer stuck to the Random orbital, then 1200 wet and dry lubricated with WD 40 followed by the Silverglide treatment....looks loverly now, but not shiny like it was!

Cheers,

P :cool:

DaveD
1st February 2005, 05:08 AM
Have you tried switching to a link belt versus the solid v belt that came with the machine??? I bought the Jet saw some time ago and found that by switching out the factory pulleys for new machined pulleys and the link belt, that vibration and that thump at start up was reduced by 90 percent or better. That thump at startup is due to the solid drive belt developing "memory" from sitting in the same position between uses. The harsh thump at startup is reduced as the belt warms but still cause significant vibration but the link belt will eliminate almost all that type of vibration.

Hope this helps.