PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaws

dkennard
15th July 1999, 06:12 PM
I should like to know whether the Hafco range is any good. What should I look for in buying a new bandsaw?

------------------
Desmond

Shane Watson
26th July 1999, 11:36 AM
I have just recently gone threw the rigmoral of deciding which brand etc was the better. It really comes down to what you want the saw to do, eg, cutting dimensions.
Price is a major factor as well. I looked at the Hafco range, but wasn't impressed with the features against its price. I ended up buying a Scheppach Bandsaw. This machine has a 300mm depth of cut and is continuous through the throat, rather than other brands tapering down. It has an oversized table and an excellent fence system ( which was what sold the unit to me!! ) Its design and colours( blue/mustard ) are bit " out there " But I think all new machinery will go that way. Plus it makes the workshop that more interesting for customers! If you want me to forward some details of who I dealt with, just let me know. the machine cost me just under $3000 ( freight inc. Melbourne to Nth QLD ) and after only a month, I can see the savings!

Cheers
Shane....

Rod Smith
27th July 1999, 02:46 PM
Hi Desmond. I also recently looked into which bandsaw. From what I understand the Jet brand is probably the best of the asian imports, but of course costs more. A friend of mine has a hafco he is happy with it for what it is (a cheap saw). From my studies I think you need at least a genuine 1hp to do anything serious. And I have been lead to believe that some of the imported motors have very little inside the cover and the ratings might be a bit ambitious. I wanted to be able to resaw and ended up with an 18inch Woodfast. I put new bearings right through, had it re-tyred and generally tuned up. Had to replace the motor, I got a 2 hp 3 ph second hand. Could of got a single phase for around $200. All up about $500. I'm very happy with it. Keep up the research and make sure you understand what you are buying. Good luck. Rod

------------------

Rod Smith
27th July 1999, 02:57 PM
Hi Shane
Congratulations on the new bandsaw. I admired that recently at the WW show here in adelaide, what a beauty. I ended up buying an Emco planer thicknesser at the show, apparrently emco make the sheppach bandsaw (so I was told by the woodman people). I'm very happy with the planer. I was a little nervous as I traded in a couple of big old cast machines to gain a little much needed space, they were very good but a bit big for my workshop. Anyway the Emco stuff seems like top stuff. Oh, something else, apparrently metabo have now bought emco, so you might see the bandsaw under that name? See ya, Rod

AlexS
27th July 1999, 05:36 PM
I bought the el cheapo Hafco about 4 years ago, and spent a bit of time tuning it, so that I'm pretty happy with it. The motor burned out so I replaced it with an Australian 1hp, which really makes a difference. Also, the pulley shaft bearing disintegrated, so I replaced it. I use good quality blades, and have cut veneer thickness on NG Rosewood. I made up a fence from aluminium angle and MDF which I clamp to the table. However, I was talking to a bloke who bought the same saw and the table was nothing like flat, so it looks like their quality control may be a bit off. Hafco also have a 1hp machine that looks a little bit better quality - haven't heard any reports. Good luck,

Alex