PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newbie

anu
16th December 2011, 09:52 AM
Hey everybody,

I am brand new to metalworking, and looking for some really basic advice. I'm working on a project that involves cutting mild steel tubing and cleaning it up. The tubing is 7/8 inch with .049 inch walls - fairly small and thin. I have an abrasive cutoff wheel that cuts well, but it wanders, leaving a cut that isn't 90 deg. Any ideas for something better that won't break the bank?

Also, I need to clean and deburr the ends and polish the sides for painting. I have NO idea what I should be using for these operations or what kind of finish I will get.

Greg Q
16th December 2011, 10:39 AM
Hello Anu, and welcome. You might want to try a tube cutter for this job...They are cheap at one of the big box stores. Sandpaper will can be used to debur and also for the outside polishing. Use progressively finer grades (up to 2000 grit which you should be able to find at any Carquest type store. While you are there pick up some chrome polish for the finishing touches)

Greg

On edit, I re-read your post and see that my advice is BS. For paint prep I'd go to 400 grit at the most. 240 would probably do the job.