PDA

View Full Version : Offsets and twisty vases

sjm
16th December 2011, 06:46 PM
I've been experimenting with mounting things at skewed angles and offsets to try different things. I'm starting with the blank mounted at an angle in the chuck, turning the vase stem, then mounting it square, and turning the base. However, I have a problem with finishing the base - at the moment, I'm just parting off with a slight undercut, then removing the nib and hand sanding once it's off the lathe.

So my question to the more experienced, how do I reverse mount something like this in order to finish the base?

I've attached a couple of simple experiments to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

wheelinround
16th December 2011, 06:55 PM
Like what you have done look good the colour of 2nd one is interesting was it natural or coloured??

As to your question if I was doing them it would be as you are doing hand sand and finish. I await the pro's answers.

joe greiner
17th December 2011, 01:05 AM
Even for straight vases, I usually allow a generous amount of wood between the chuck and the work - enough room to reach near the center for cutting.

If you want to do more work on the bottom (e.g. decorative grooves), a deep donut chuck could work. Set the "back" disk well away from the faceplate, to accommodate the offset stem. You might need a steady on the front disk because of the distance from the headstock.

Cheers,
Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th December 2011, 02:59 AM
For only one or two I'd be inclined to simply hand-finish the bottoms. In your shoes and given a few of 'em to do, a doughnut chuck would be my choice, too.

Either that or a one-off jam chuck... but IMO the doughnut chuck is the better option, even if only for the re-usability..

sjm
17th December 2011, 07:35 AM
Like what you have done look good the colour of 2nd one is interesting was it natural or coloured??

It's redgum finished with ubeaut's cedar wax.

And it sounds like a doughnut chuck is the way to go... something else I need to build :rolleyes: Thanks for the replies!

Dean M
17th December 2011, 11:02 AM
Looks great, how dry was the redgum blank? Did you cut it yourself from a block? Did you rough it down green and then let it dry to finish? I only ask as i have heaps of redgum blocks that i could turn when i take possesion of the lathe i bought. Thanks again fantastic work.

sjm
17th December 2011, 11:48 AM
Looks great, how dry was the redgum blank? Did you cut it yourself from a block? Did you rough it down green and then let it dry to finish? I only ask as i have heaps of redgum blocks that i could turn when i take possesion of the lathe i bought. Thanks again fantastic work.

It was an old house stump. I have heaps, and they are great to turn. Very dry, and very dense, but a sharp chisel slices through it like butter. Have to re-sharpen every few minutes, but it's worth it. For example, here's a couple of oil burners, again finished with cedar wax, sitting on part of the stump they came from:

Christos
17th December 2011, 01:25 PM
I like the oil burner's. When you going to test them?

turnerted
17th December 2011, 04:49 PM
sjm
I can't see a simple way to mount it to get at the base .
I would just part off as you are doing then use a sanding disc mounted on a disc of wood mounted on your chuck . I have a 10'' disc I use for this sort of thing this . You can buy a sticky back velcro disc from Mcjing and others which enables you to use different grades of sand paper . Another suggestion , part off as above and use a jacobs chuck with a 50mm or 75mm sanding pad mounted on the headstock .
At least its easier than hand sanding .
Ted

sjm
18th December 2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks Ted, but if I wanted a flat base, I'd just drop it onto the linisher. However, I'm after a concave base, and a small foot ring, like on a ceramic plate. Maybe some decorative grooves as well. I have given the doughnut chuck some thought, and I reckon it's possible using three plates. One mounted on a faceplate, and another two to hold the piece in place. Quick sketch attached... This would hold the base central, but still allow space for the angled stem to rotate.

joe greiner
18th December 2011, 10:02 PM
Exactly what I had in mind. I suggest using wing nuts vs. hex nuts, for more rapid placement; lots of washers too, of course.

I really think you'll need a steady on the front disk; or a spare supply of all-thread.:oo:

Cheers,
Joe