PDA

View Full Version : restoration of bondwood boat

Hartley18
25th January 2005, 12:59 PM
G,day all. I am new to this caper so here I go. I have an 18' Hartley Half Cabin that I would like to restore. Some questions 1) Is it better to Epoxy inside and out or Inside and Marine paint the outside ? 2) Should I use fibreglass matt or just straight Epoxy finished with 2 pac Poly ?3) Should the boat rest on the keel on the trailer or should the rear be supported by rollers etc.

Some info that may help with all of this. marinised 186 6c Holden engine inboard with shaft and prop. The condition of the timber is generally good with some fibreglass patches on the exterior. The inside of the hull is v/good with some minor rot in the rear(stern) corners. There are 2 leaks that occur in the front through where the keel meets the hull. it has been in the water approx 3 times in 8 mths.

Thanks for your help

bitingmidge
25th January 2005, 01:44 PM
Hartley,

All good questions...but none too easy to answer without seeing the beastie. Epoxy would be the best solution in and out, but you'd have to strip every skerrick of the existing coating first.

Suggest you take a drive to the hills and see the guys at DuckFlat Wooden Boats, (or someone similar) who will be able to advise all you need in exchange for you buying your materials (epoxy glass etc) from them!

Cheers,

P

STEPHEN MILLER
26th January 2005, 12:21 AM
You could use West System and dynel sheet instead of fibreglass sheet it is easier to use for the beginner. go to www.atlcomposites.com they are pretty helpful via email just tell them what you are doing and they will send you a free info pack they also have a book on resotoration of wooden boats that is excellent for about $80.00 . West System is available from a supplier at Wingfield and is cheaper than boatcote that you get from Duckflat.
the main thing is you have to remove all paint etc to get back to the plywood to do a good job. have fun :cool:

Hartley18
31st January 2005, 02:34 PM
You could use West System and dynel sheet instead of fibreglass sheet it is easier to use for the beginner. go to www.atlcomposites.com (http://www.atlcomposites.com/) they are pretty helpful via email just tell them what you are doing and they will send you a free info pack they also have a book on resotoration of wooden boats that is excellent for about $80.00 . West System is available from a supplier at Wingfield and is cheaper than boatcote that you get from Duckflat.
the main thing is you have to remove all paint etc to get back to the plywood to do a good job. have fun :cool:
Thanks for your help

Hartley18