PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new mill.

bwal74
17th December 2011, 03:32 PM
Hi,

Has anybody bought one of those ozmestore1 "Dovetail Geared Head Milling & Drilling Machine (New)" of ebay? I've been watching them for awhile. If someone has one, will you let me know how it goes?

Or any other recommendations for a reasonably priced small milling machine. I've been to H&F but not sure.

Cheers Ben

ps I don't really know what I'll be making with it other than swarf.

Dave J
17th December 2011, 03:47 PM
You will find they are all very similar, so it comes down to accessories like power feeds etc. You just missed the sale at H&F's where they had them for $1750 inc gst.

Dave

morrisman
17th December 2011, 04:20 PM
The family of 45 mill/drill models are all pretty similar . BUT : There is a inherent design problem with the quill jumping downwards after you release the lock . Mine does it and others have reported it too . It doesn't bother me that much but others have pulled the machine down and tried to fix it . MIKE

Auskart
17th December 2011, 05:34 PM
Mike, any idea how they tried to fix the problem.

Shane.

morrisman
17th December 2011, 06:05 PM
Mike, any idea how they tried to fix the problem.

Shane.

Shane, yes somebody did come up with a fix and posted it here somewhere on this forum . I cannot recall the details , sorry

Dave J
17th December 2011, 06:09 PM
It sounds like the gear and rack on the quill are not meshing properly.. I have seen a few fixes on other machine where they turn down the shaft on the gear, or bore out the hole in the head casting, and then make up an eccentric bush. To hold the bush you put a grub screw in from the bottom to stop it rotating.
This will allow you to adjust the mesh between the 2.

Dave

simonl
17th December 2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Dave,

I can see potential problems with the quill. Mine does have some slack in it but not as much as some have reported. I can understand the idea of an eccentric bush and re-jigging the quill bearing to bring the pinion up closer to the rack but it's a lot of messing around for no real guarantee of solving the problem. The rack and pinion clearance may only be part of the problem, it may also be poor meshing or poor machining of the parts too. Personally I think the quickest and easiest fix is a tension spring from the quill to the head body so that there is always upwards force on the quill pushing it against meshing pinion. Any forces from machining will always be in the upwards direction so if it's always hard up against the pinion then there will effectively be no backlash.

I know there is a spring on the pinion but because the backlash is between the rack and pinion it does not help.

Agree with the general comment on 45 size mills. They pretty much seem mostly the same.

It's like comparing Ozito, XU1 and GMC power tools!

Cheers,

Simon

Dave J
17th December 2011, 09:13 PM
Hi Simon,
Mine is a similar set up and has a bit of slop in the mesh of the gears, but I don't have any problem with it. If I am bringing the quill down for a precise cut, I leave the quill lock just lightly done up so there is a bit of drag. I have never had mine drop on me, but I use grease on it not oil, so that may make it stickier.

I agree with you about it being part of the problem, and I think it is a lot of work to go to for a small gain, but I just thought I would on what I have seen as some may want to undertake the mod.

I did tighten up my fine down feed by shimming the thrust bearing and that made a big difference.

Dave

Auskart
18th December 2011, 07:16 AM
Simon, have had a spring fitted to my RF-25 for a while, works well, was looking for a permanent fix though. May just have to stay with the spring idea.

Shane.