PDA

View Full Version : Douglas stroke problem

Steamwhisperer
18th December 2011, 08:27 AM
Hi all,
my Douglas 10" shaper which was kinda badly rebuilt before I got it so I have had to go through a rebuild of my own. Some things I thought looked ok but in retrospect aren't...I think. After a couple of stroke changes the clamping bolt for the sliding dovetail arrangement is feeling a bit spongy. I would like to know if this is the correct arrangement for clamping the mechanism. Don't look too hard at the sliding block as the previous owner made this and now it is on my list of new bits to make.

Phil

Michael G
18th December 2011, 08:53 AM
That looks to be approximately correct in terms of order of components. Attached is a page from a Douglas manual I have (my shaper is an Elliott though). Spongy may be a sign that the thread is going. Certainly a SHCS is not original, as it should be a nut on a T bolt going right through from the main wheel

Michael

nadroj
18th December 2011, 09:29 AM
When the dovetails were repaired, I wonder if they were machined after bolting / welding?
If they were not, I guess it could be they are aren't true and parallel enough - causing the sponginess?

Jordan

tanii51
18th December 2011, 09:35 AM
ill take some photos of mine soon as i wake up enough
john

tanii51
18th December 2011, 10:05 AM
heres a few quick pics the t bolt looks to be a 1/2 unc the spacer bush is 3/4 od ... brass block has an oil channel running thru it as is a diagonal one on the outside
i can take some better measurements later if you want

Steamwhisperer
18th December 2011, 08:59 PM
That looks to be approximately correct in terms of order of components. Attached is a page from a Douglas manual I have (my shaper is an Elliott though). Spongy may be a sign that the thread is going. Certainly a SHCS is not original, as it should be a nut on a T bolt going right through from the main wheel

Michael

Thanks Michael
I think I know whats going on now. The block has been modified by cutting the bolt off and tapping a hole to suit the SHCS. When I tighten it up it is burying itself into the bull gear creating a spongy feeling

When the dovetails were repaired, I wonder if they were machined after bolting / welding?
If they were not, I guess it could be they are aren't true and parallel enough - causing the sponginess?

Jordan
Hi Jordan
I checked the fit off the dovetails and will be making a whole new one. Possibly the worst example of fitting I have seen. Looks like a 4" angle grinder was used

heres a few quick pics the t bolt looks to be a 1/2 unc the spacer bush is 3/4 od ... brass block has an oil channel running thru it as is a diagonal one on the outside
i can take some better measurements later if you want
Hi Tanii51,
I shouldn't need any more measurements but the photos helped heaps. Thanks

Phil

RayG
18th December 2011, 11:17 PM
Hi Phil,

Sounds like you've got it under control, but if you need some parts surface ground let me know...

Regards
Ray

Steamwhisperer
19th December 2011, 05:27 AM
Hi Phil,

Sounds like you've got it under control, but if you need some parts surface ground let me know...

Regards
Ray

Thanks for the offer Ray
I should be ok, but then, they are famous last words.

Phil