PDA

View Full Version : Different grind

BlackbuttWA
18th December 2011, 09:09 AM
Has anyone tried the Eli Avisera convex grind on their skews ?
After watching his series of great DVD's I decided to try it on my 20 x 10mm flat skew.
It feels so much better to use, & safer. I haven't had one catch to date ( I hope I am not tempting fate here .) & I am very pleased with the outcome.
Eli also has his own version of grinding various other chisels.

If you try it please let me know what you think of it.

Col

Ross
18th December 2011, 09:50 AM
Interesting, what is the angle of the grind?

Ross

WOODbTURNER
18th December 2011, 10:11 AM
If you have a chance to see Eli you won't be disappointed. He is a great demonstrator and woodturner as seen at Turnfest. I think he will be at Turnfest 2012 at Sea World Gold Coast. He also shows how he grinds his tools and the benefits.

tea lady
18th December 2011, 10:11 AM
:pi: So where are the pics? :U

OK! SO I googled! :cool: Eli Avisera Skew Chisel (3/4") by Hamlet: HSS-Traditional Woodworker (http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Eli-Avisera-Skew-Chisel-3_4-by-Hamlet-HSS/productinfo/239-0406/) I dunno!

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/images/239-0406-lg.jpg
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1XA9xWK5DcnFf3Tm5Jykc9e_PyoIHqVp9eSNNFxmJjYa15zYaKQ :think: So how do you "rub the bevel"? :hmm:

This from Stu In Tokyo! :cool:

Eli Avisera Skew Part 1 "Sharpening" - YouTube

Looks like another experiment at 's on Tuesday! :D

jimbur
18th December 2011, 12:30 PM
I have a set of small carbon steel marples. The half inch skew is ground the same way and is a tool I sometimes turn to (no pun intended) when I encounter awkward grain. I keep it sharp by following the profile with a spyderco stone.
Cheers,
JIm

jimbur
19th December 2011, 01:12 PM
Tea Lady,
So how do you "rub the bevel"? :hmm:
Unfortunately when I was given the Marples I was just starting with turning so I had no idea of the finer points (or the basics for that matter). Thinking back, I believe the bevel is always in contact unless you really do something silly. There does seem to be more control.
I'm pretty sure the marples is an original grind so the hamlet is not unique as they claim.
Cheers,
Jim

rsser
19th December 2011, 04:04 PM
When you do a bead with a std skew TL, how much of the bevel do you think is rubbing?

tea lady
19th December 2011, 05:34 PM
When you do a bead with a std skew TL, how much of the bevel do you think is rubbing?Yes you can do a bead with the skew, but its not what it is ideal for. Long tapered planing cuts is its home turf. (You would then do a bead cos its the tool in the hand. ) But this grind takes its support away. :shrug: Will have to try it I guess.:cool:

rsser
19th December 2011, 05:56 PM
A skew is the trad tool for beads; in the hands of a competent user it leaves a burnished finish that needs no or little sanding and the narrow included angle of the bevels gives best access to make closely moulded forms.

A spindle gouge comes close and I find it easier to use but the wings can get in the way; a detail gouge is easier still providing better clearance.

As for long flowing spindle-piece curves, whatever works. I'm a fan of a 1/2" forged spindle gouge; thanks to .

But to return to the question, at a guess the bevel support of a skew on a bead would run to mere poofteenths of an inch.

BlackbuttWA
21st December 2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Ross,

Checked mine & it is 35°.
My 30 x 8mm flat skew is 40° & the oval 25mm skew is 45°, both of these are the concave grind.

HTH

Col

rsser
21st December 2011, 10:22 AM
Just keep in mind that depending on the size of the grind wheel a hollow grind will give you an included angle a few degrees lower than your jig setting suggests.

This becomes significant with a 6" wheel compared with an 8" or a Tormek 10".

While a hollow grind also reduces the mass behind the edge I like it as it makes freehand honing on a whetstone an easy way to touch up the edge.

tea lady
21st December 2011, 05:40 PM
Had a play with a convex grind skew yesterday! (BTW slapped me about and said skews are great for beads. :C So OK! I was wrong! ) But..... I remain underwhelmed by this grind on the skew. It feels very precarious. There might only be a "poofteenth" of bevel rubbing when doing beads with a normal skew, but it is a very important poofteenth! And you really miss it when it isn't there.

It can do coves easier though. So maybe that is one place where you might use it. If someone stole all your spindle gouges. :D

dai sensei
21st December 2011, 08:49 PM
... slapped me about and said skews are great for beads. :C So OK! I was wrong! ...

You obviously were not watching during all those demos did at numerous BBQ days :doh:. Perhaps each time, that was when you unloaded chocky ripple cakes :rolleyes:, the only forgiveable excuse :;

tea lady
21st December 2011, 11:25 PM
You obviously were not watching during all those demos did at numerous BBQ days :doh:. Perhaps each time, that was when you unloaded chocky ripple cakes :rolleyes:, the only forgiveable excuse :;:DThat must have been it!

robo hippy
22nd December 2011, 02:57 PM
I got to see Eli a few years back, and it was really interesting. I still have my small skew ground convex. I did find it to be a bit more friendly, especially as a bowl turner. It worked better for me in coves than a regular skew, kind of like grinding off the bevel on your bowl gouges. It was a bit more difficult to make a straight line cut like on a rolling pin.

robo hippy