PDA

View Full Version : My new but old lathe

Ch4iS
18th December 2011, 06:15 PM
Won this little monster on ebay and picked it up on friday but have a few questions being a newbie.

Is there a piece missing from the tailstock? the one which adjusts the left and right movement (I'm not too sure what you call it) the clamping plate and quick clamp are there but going from my previous lathe there should be something there with 2 screws either side to adjust it.

What sort of oil should I be using for the headstock bushings?

I want to clean some parts of the lathe, would wax and grease remover be safe to use? along with giving it a coat of Lanox MX4 once dried INOX LANOX MX4 lubricant (http://www.inoxed.com/MX4.htm) ?

My uneducated opinion is that the lathe is in great shape, bed looks good and no play in the headstock that I can see, hell of a-lot better quality than my first lathe which was a H&F AL54B a few years back but had to get rid of it when we moved due to not having the room.

As always any help is much appreciated.

morrisman
18th December 2011, 06:57 PM
That looks to be in good shape but what brand is it ? Any data plates on it ? It looks somewhat like a early Brakenbury and Austin lathe MIKE

RayG
18th December 2011, 07:14 PM
Hi Chris,

Try a bit with scotch brite pads and kerosense, then when the greasy gunk is gone switch to scotch brite pads with Lanox, for large flat areas i've been getting good results by putting a scotch brite pad on a random orbital sander.

For areas where you want a bit more shine, like dials and such, try using Autosol polish, but don't use it on the mating surfaces like ways and such, just on the non-mating surfaces.

Looks like it will be a nice machine, I can't see any parts missing on the tailstock, I think might be referring to lateral adjustment system for taper turning, there should be screws for adjusting tailstock alignment however.. I'll wait till eagle-eyed Stuart has a look :)

Regards
Ray

jhovel
18th December 2011, 07:25 PM
Interesting lathe. Good find!
Looks like a flat bed with an inverted V way or square way in the front slideway.
You are right: something is missing. The screw holes for the two adjusting screws appear top be there but the tongue or anvil for them to push again isn't. Could it be an L-shape thingi that registers in the shallow longitudinal keyway in the centre of the top part of the tailstock?
Joe

Ch4iS
18th December 2011, 08:11 PM
Here are some better images of the tail stock.

That looks to be in good shape but what brand is it ? Any data plates on it ? It looks somewhat like a early Brakenbury and Austin lathe MIKE

No plates but searching google shows very similar models so I'd say you are correct, I'll be building a bench over the next few days and will take some better pictures of the machine then.

Thanks ray I'll give the kerosene a try.

Stustoys
18th December 2011, 08:42 PM
Hi,
I think Joe has it right. I wonder if it broke and someone milled it off to clean it up or if there is meant to be a key/tongue bolted into that slot?
On my lathe its up the other way so I cant help much more.

While we are asking question. Why are the adjustment screws offset? That would seem to be a silly thing to do.

Stuart

(deleted my other post as I started writing it before Chris posted the new pictures)

Bryan
18th December 2011, 09:48 PM
Looks like all you need to do is make a block that fits in that slot snugly and screw it to the TS body. And possibly tap some new threads for the adjusting screws. Though it would be nice to know how it was originally, if than info can be found.

Ch4iS
19th December 2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks, just sent the seller a message and will see if something was missed.

I've got a mill here so worst case wont be so bad, I'm searching to see if I can find any images of what it looked like originally but so far no luck.

franco
19th December 2011, 12:50 PM

Mike,

FWIW although there are some similarities, I doubt it is a Brackenbury and Austin.

1. All the Brackenbury and Austins I have seen have the carriage handwheel on the left of the apron.

2, The lathe in the photo appears to have either a split flat front way or a flat way and vee way on the front. I've never come across a B & A which did not have just two flat ways.

3. I haven't seen a B & A lathe with the extension wings on the back of the carriage to go around the tailstock like the one pictured.

Some indication of the country of origin might be obtained from checking the fasteners used. If they are 55 dgree Whitworth, it is probably English or Australian (most likely, because of the Empire Preference trading concessions which applied before WW2). If they are the 60 degree American coarse thread, whatever it was called at the time (NC?), it is probably of American origin. From memory, and I might have this the wrong way round, some old German machinery had Whitworth fasteners but with metric heads.

Frank.