PDA

View Full Version : Curious, Limpy #2

pmcgee
18th December 2011, 10:23 PM
I'm hoping you all might be able to give me some ideas on this #2 that I bought recently. It is quite different from my first #2, which looks unmistakably Stanley. This one I bought because I have a liking for the braze-repaired, limpy metal planes that I have already - and this one would be among friends.

This one has replacement woodwork, some old components that I only noticed once I started with the photography and ... the thing that got me wanting to ask here in the first place ... the blade depth adjustment works in the reverse direction to every other metal plane I have. :?

I thought it might be one of the non-Stanley brands?? Or of course someone might have whacked in a thread from who-knows-where some time in the past.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul McGee

ac445ab
19th December 2011, 12:21 AM
Ciao,
That lateral adjustment lever can be referred to type 5 planes (1885-88). The lateral lever is a one-piece construction, different from all following others.
The brass adjusting nut has a right-hand thread. From type 6 the nut will have a left-hand thread and the lateral lever will be like the actual.
This site is a very good information source.
Plane Feature Timeline (http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/type_study.php#Type%205)

Giuliano

pmcgee
19th December 2011, 05:02 AM
Wow - great link.
Thank you Guiliano.

Paul McGee