PDA

View Full Version : Chroming (lead/cross slide) screws ?

lather
18th December 2011, 11:25 PM
can cross and lead screws be chrome plated, considering chroming these, mainly the cross slide, to reduce the play, but mainly to protect the screws from wear.
when the chrome wears down to the copper plating , it could get de-chromed, and re done, with out wearing out the original screw.

Dave J
19th December 2011, 12:09 AM
You would need hard chroming like hydraulic rams, but the cost would probably be several new screws, so I don't think it would be worth it.
Rather than the cost of chroming why not buy a DRO and not have to depend on the screw accuracy.

I have had my lathe for 7 or 8 years and have only adjusted the nut a few times, and it is not noticeably tighter at each end, so I don't think you need to worry.

If you ever wear it out, you will have many years experience by then, so making a new on will be no problem.

Dave

lather
19th December 2011, 12:44 AM
hadn't realized chroming was that expensive
Just purchased a poor mans DRO, had considered attaching a 200mm digital vernier to the cross slide, until noticing that they actually sell units with a small mountable readout.
Not too concerned about the cross slide play, as this can be adjusted on the brass nut, just thought the chrome would help in reducing the play, without having to adjust the brass nut.

Dave J
19th December 2011, 01:08 AM
Chroming is expensive and hard chroming is a lot more. Last time I went there was a $66 base price and that was probably 8 years ago. Depending on the fit with your nut, the nut may even need to be made a little larger to allow for the chroming, and once the chrome started to wear off it would chew you nut out as it's sharp.

You will find the bronze nut wears before the screw as it's softer, and ever time you move the cross slide the whole nut gets used, unlike the screw.
I don't know about yours, but my screws look almost like chrome and have a nice smooth finish, so that makes it easy on the nut as far as wear goes.

Dave

Bryan
19th December 2011, 08:15 AM
Regular lubrication would be a better investment I reckon.

Dave J
19th December 2011, 12:59 PM
Regular lubrication would be a better investment I reckon.

+1

Dave

Grahame Collins
19th December 2011, 09:07 PM

At diameters down to 25 mm it gets difficult to plate evenly.This would be exacerbated by the thread form where it would again not plate evenly.

Hardchrome requires pre and post chrome preparation by linishing that would not be possible again due to thread form. Hydraulic shafts chrome evenly due to their even circular shape.

I can tell you this as I was quoter for hard chrome work at one time.

Grahame