PDA

View Full Version : Timber Supplier?

Gumnut_Farmer
25th January 2005, 05:06 PM
Hi,

I have been turning for only a few months, and have found the hardest part is finding timber. So other than Bunnings, which is great if you want radiata at a max of 200x45, can anyone recommend a place near PERTH where I can source timber for platters and bowls?

Thanks.

Kev Y.
25th January 2005, 10:28 PM
Welcome aboard.. Why not try giving your local tree removalist a call, look them up in the yellow pages, they are bound to have an endless supply of timber for you to play with.

However the timber will be green and will require some time to dry out, but atleast you will have something other than "noxious weed" to turn.

smidsy
26th January 2005, 12:22 PM
I'm not on my pc at the moment so I can't give you the URL but google search the Wood turners of WA website and on that site you'll find a link for a site called mulchnet.
It's a website for WA tree loppers where you can register for mulch and firewood, but you can also score wood for turning if you don't mind letting it dry - most of the tree loppers have yards full of timber but they don't treat it so it's cracked.
PM me if you can't find it and I'll mail you the URL when I get home.

Cheers
Paul

PS Welcome to the group - we are all normal, it's just some of us have our own definitition of normal :D

John Saxton
26th January 2005, 11:44 PM
Hi, welcome to the BB. Plenty of options first off Carba-tec in Balcatta, Timbecon in John St Bentley but they will cost you some dosh.

Like Paul said try the Western Australian Woodturners association for means of access to timber .www.wawa.com.au

Southside Woodturning supplies ph 9314 2226 may also be able to help.

Also Like Brudda said check the local Shires for windfall, curb collections,also get onto the Kings Park Administration for access to their tree pruning programme and a vast range of timbers available.

Often free wood available by contacting the State Emergency Service when stormy weather occurs.

prav
27th January 2005, 12:12 AM
Here's the website that smidsy was talking about if you haven't found it yet.
www.mulchnet.com
Wish they had something like this in Vic.
Welcome to the BB. They're a friendly bunch!

Gumnut_Farmer
27th January 2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys, there are some good suggestions.
I think I might try to strike a balance of buying prepared wood for the short term, and sourcing green wood to dry my own for later.
And thanks for the welcomes!

Cliff Rogers
27th January 2005, 06:47 PM
G'day.

The green waste at your local dump/recyclers is always good for a look so long as you don't have one of those dumps that has an entrance fee & dump Nazis on patrol. Our local dump up on the tablelands only opens 3 days a week & it's actually a collection centre rather than a dump so anything that is left there has to be removed to somewhere else at an expense so the dump minders don't care if you take stuff away.
I got a very nice log of 'something' last Sunday, bought it straight home, slabbed it & painted it with log end sealer. I thought it was mango when I picked it up but it's MUCH nicer that that.

adrian
28th January 2005, 10:18 AM
G'day.

The green waste at your local dump/recyclers is always good for a look so long as you don't have one of those dumps that has an entrance fee & dump Nazis on patrol. Our local dump up on the tablelands only opens 3 days a week & it's actually a collection centre rather than a dump so anything that is left there has to be removed to somewhere else at an expense so the dump minders don't care if you take stuff away.
I got a very nice log of 'something' last Sunday, bought it straight home, slabbed it & painted it with log end sealer. I thought it was mango when I picked it up but it's MUCH nicer that that.

The tip idea is good if they don't see you loading your car. If you have to weigh your car on entry and exit it can cut down on cost if you can replace some of the weight. That's why they don't like you doing it at the transfer stations.

State Forests here in NSW will issue permits to harvest up to 2 tonne of "fire wood" in the state forest log dumps so maybe it's worth inquiring in WA. It's a good option because some of the knarly crap that loggers reject is exactly what a turner is looking for.

Einselen
5th February 2005, 05:38 PM
Hi,

Due to the fact that we are downsizing (that means moving farm) I will be selling all my timber that I have collected in my shed over the last 15 years. Around 4 to 5 tons. Anything from rosewood, red cedar to exotic to Tasmanian. (Huon pine, celery pine, etc).
I live in the Gold Coast Hinterland. I am unable to send it but anyone living in South East Queensland should be able to make it.
Just let me know and I can get in touch with you. I will probable need another
week to see how much of what type of timber I have.

Simon-UK
6th February 2005, 05:19 AM
One source I find very good, particularly if you are just after skew fodder, is to contact a local joinery company. A couple of bottles of wine and the odd fiver for beer money keeps me well stocked with oak, ash, iroko and saple off cuts, usually 2, 3 or 4"sq by 12"+.

Perfect.

PS - Don't bother asking anyone in the UK, I am not revealing the source although I have written it on the bottom of my will so my executer will post when I no longer need it!!

reeves
7th February 2005, 12:28 PM
These guys are a good bet

http://www.djarilmari.com/

I got some relaly Jarrah Burls and other quality woods from them.

Worth a phone call mate.

cheeeeeeeers
john

murray
7th February 2005, 12:48 PM
Hi Einselen
I live on the Gold Coast and would be interested in buying some of your timber
Please call me on 0438 757884
Murray

Woodlice
22nd February 2005, 05:08 PM
At some of the tip's in WA the green waste is mulched and given away for free. They also allow you to take logs and stumps with you for bbq / log fires.

I have collected some very nice burls and peices for drying at the Baldivis tip on Mortimer (?) Rd.

J!

reeves
23rd February 2005, 12:41 PM
Mate, Bunnings would be no good for Timber i am sure...

IN WA try contacting

Djarlimari timbers

http://www.djarilmari.com/

I got some excellent blanks for them, very nice quality, burls and all...they will frieght a 20 kilo box no probs...

the forest heritage centr ein Dwellingup

http://www.calm.wa.gov.au/tourism/forest_heritage_centre.html

has classes and would know of good suppliers....

check these guys

http://www.westernwoodturners.com.au/home.html

I get me turning blanks form 3 sources
'

1) local dump, = cyress, ironbark etc
2) ocal finds and giveaways, silky oak, red cedar, ect
3) buoght from blanks suppliers, camphor, silky oak, tassie timbers, burls oethers etc...

cutting up slabs, all sorts of sources....

some mills have an offcuts and throwaway bin...

start hunting..

if i were u i would head down to Pemberton and hunt out some nice bits.....

or buy some Jarrah slabs....check the auctions page...

good luck..

rsser
23rd February 2005, 04:28 PM
What Prav said ...

Wish we had a mulchnet over here in Melb.

With the recent storms there've been elm, oak, claret ash and who knows what else down in our parks that have just gone into the chipper.

Out in the country there's redgum down all over the place.

Is Rare Woods no longer in this game? No-one else? Talk about a waste.

(Or an opportunity for a club consortium?).

adrian
23rd February 2005, 04:39 PM
The State Emergency Service is probably another source of information about where to source timber. They are always lopping trees that are in dangerous positions and many of the trees are diseased which can mean some interesting timber.