PDA

View Full Version : Window Pelmet tips

brinesharks
19th December 2011, 08:21 PM
I'm looking to build some pelmets for windows in the house. It's a modern house so they will be fairly simple with straight lines and modern fabric. However, the windows are 2.7m wide and I'm worried that a span that big needs some reinforcing so it doesn't twist or bow.

I'm concerned that a fairly heavy pelmet might need some good solid anchoring to the wall. Any tips on how to go about it? My house seems to be pretty flimsy and fixing things to the walls hasn't worked to well for me in the past. :-

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th December 2011, 05:04 AM
Pix of your windows will help get the right advice... ;)

Often you can get away with sitting the back edge of a pelmet on the top architrave and fixing brackets to the two side architraves.

If extra brackets/supports are needed, then these can be fitted in-between to the face of the top architrave - although they'd be limited in size to the architraves width - and/or to wall studs if the pelmets extend past the window opening.

Mind you, this all presupposes that the architraves were fixed securely in the first place and that you physically can fit them this way! Sometimes this isn't possible (recessed alum frames, etc) and different methods are needed. (Hence the pic request. :rolleyes:)

Geoff1153
20th December 2011, 10:04 PM
I made some simple pine pelmets and used small metal L brackets to secure them to the walls above the windows. I used a single hole per L bracket to fix them to masonry wall. If you dont have masonry or wall studs to screw into, there are several options for securing onto plasterboard. Your local hardware can help.

vk4
21st December 2011, 07:33 AM
last post has good advice, there should be short studs or a header beam above your doors/windows.
This will give a solid back to screw into, screw the brackets to the wall first then fasten the pelmets to the brackets, from below.

Suggested tool to acquire is a stud finder, in tool section at BIG GREEN SHED(BUNNINGS), this will take out the guess work.

jeff

Handyjack
22nd December 2011, 05:13 PM
Where are you fixing the pelmets? If they are going against the ceiling you can attach them there. I there is space between the pelmet and ceiling then use angle brackets between the top of the pelmet and the wall if you are having problem fitting brackets inside the pelmet.
A stud finder is useful as a guide to find studs, but confirm with a 1.5 or 2 mm hole first before trying to put a screw in.
An image or on-site inspection would be necessary to assist further.

Best wishes for your project.