PDA

View Full Version : pen assembly

Lecky
25th January 2005, 06:08 PM
I have started making pens ,and have sorted most of the problems,but is there a foolproof way of assembly .The most successful way I've tried so far is to press the parts together using a home made jig and a pedestal drill ,but still have the odd disaster . Would appreciate any suggestions.

DanP
25th January 2005, 08:07 PM
Lecky,

I push some of them together in the vice using mdf to protect them and use a quick clamp (with rubber jaws) for what won't fit between the jaws of the vice.

Dan

smidsy
26th January 2005, 12:12 PM
The best way I've found is to use the tail stock of the lathe - put one end of the pen on the mandrel, use a peice of scrap wood between the pen part and the wind out part of the tail stock and use the winder to push the part in.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
26th January 2005, 03:33 PM
Paul,

You dont need anything between your live center in the tailstock and the pen parts, unless you are hamfisted.
The first to go in is the tip. The point of the live center aligns it perfectly, keep the prass nut turned back about 2 cm to hold the barrel. Next is the mechanism and center ring. Wind the brass nut flush with tip of mandrel. The mechanism fits into the start pf the hole in the nut, so it won't bell out and again the live center point goes into the tip hole. Lastly with the brass nut flush, the clip and stopper against it, the other tube fits against it and the live center pushes into the tube. Wind tailstock gently until it comes to a definate stop. The clip will be tight. I have used this procedure for years and have taught it at Liddelow and demonstrated it at the WA woodshow and have never lost a pen by stuffing the assembly up. You do have to support the mandrel and pen with your left hand while turning the handwheel on the tailstock with the right hand. I cannot understand why people use other means if in fact they have a perfect press ( the lathe ) right at hand. Maybe they use some less suitable mandrels. I use the one in Carbatec's catalog at $19-00, the same as you have.

:)

Piego
27th January 2005, 12:29 AM
Must agree with Joe ,Best and quickest way to put a pen together I have made alot of pens and only lost the first one I made by pushing the mechanism in a bit to far.
Try this method and you will never need anything else.
Cheers
Piego

stingray
27th January 2005, 06:33 PM
If you really make a lot of pens, invest in a purpose-made pen press. I bought this one from Craft Supplies in the USA when over there. You can mail order on the net (with credit card). Make sure you specify US AIRMAIL for postage and not UPS courier as you'll get wacked about $50 for delivery and possibly get a customs inspection fee of at least $50. I buy stuff from them by mail often and have found it an easy process..... did I say make sure you specify airmail rather than courier.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=379-2001

Regards,
Rod (stingray)

PS. The pen press works brilliantly. Several hundred pens to prove it.

Lecky
28th January 2005, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the advice fella's ,using the lathe to do the job is so obvious.Why didn't I think of that!!!!.