PDA

View Full Version : what do I do?

antknee
20th December 2011, 10:57 AM
I have a victorian mahogany centre table I'm restoring. I have sanded it back to the original wood and it is very flat and ready for a varnish, but I don't know what exactly to put on it. Prior to sanding it was quite battered up but had a hard mahogany gloss, probably shellac. I have bought some mahogany gloss varnish (oil based) but simply painting that on sounds a bit too easy, I reckon I will undo a lot of hard work quite quickly without taking some advice. What is the best way to do this?

Sturdee
20th December 2011, 04:57 PM
I would use MinWax wipe on poly available from Bunnings. One coat a day for about a week and you will have a perfect finish and as you wipe it on with a cloth no brush marks. :2tsup:

Peter.

antknee
20th December 2011, 08:47 PM
That sounds a good idea. I hadn't considered the possibility, even existence, of a wipe on varnish. I will look for some. I think by "poly" you mean an oil based glossy varnish? I'm not used to the terminology. Thanks. Ant.

Sturdee
20th December 2011, 09:00 PM
Yes it's a sort of varnish and comes in either a satin or a full gloss finish. It's actually called "MinWax Wipe on Poly". I just realised that you're from the UK so the reference to Bunnings won't apply. It is made by an US company so should be available in your country.

I used the full gloss on a dining room table last year and has come up a treat and is hard wearing. I've also used the satin finish recently on a few things and I can recommend both.

Peter.

antknee
20th December 2011, 09:12 PM
I see. I've just been looking and I can get the Mini Wax brand here in the UK but its quite pricey. I have found some wipe on local brand varnish but it is £60 ($90) for a big pot. What would happen if I put a cloth in the mahogany gloss poly varnish I already have? I'm guessing it will be too liquid to go on nicely. I will have another look online and if I can't see the right brand drop by the DIY store. Thanks. Ant.

Sturdee
20th December 2011, 09:21 PM
I see. I've just been looking and I can get the Mini Wax brand here in the UK but its quite pricey. I have found some wipe on local brand varnish but it is £60 ($90) for a big pot. What would happen if I put a cloth in the mahogany gloss poly varnish I already have? I'm guessing it will be too liquid to go on nicely. I will have another look online and if I can't see the right brand drop by the DIY store. Thanks. Ant.

It's not that expensive here, from memory about $30 a small (250mm) tin.

I would try using some of your gloss poly varnish by wiping it on a sample piece, not on your good table, and see how you go. You may even have to thin it down and give it quite a few coats with light sanding in between to get a good cover.

Peter.

antknee
20th December 2011, 10:16 PM
I will give it a go and see whether it will work, i'll be going to the DIY store too, they may have something a little cheaper. Cost isn't the major factor, I want it to look nice first, but I can imagine being left with unused varnish that cost more than I paid for the table - £10 ($15). I wouldn't add up the cost of my labour, it'd be too much :) Thanks. Ant.

Darklord
27th December 2011, 05:48 PM
Excellent way to ruin any antique value the piece may have now or in the future.