PDA

View Full Version : Suppliers of 58mm coffee tamper bases ?

Claw Hama
20th December 2011, 02:13 PM
Hey Guys & Girls
Merry Christmas

Do any of our usual suppliers of craft accesories carry 58mm coffee tamper bases? I have some custom tampers to make and have found some suppliers but I would rather get them from our "friends" than unknowns:U.

Ozkaban
20th December 2011, 02:47 PM
I'd love some too! I know about a couple on the net (pulman tamps is one), and they look great.

However, if one of our more gifted metalwork friends was to turn some up I'd be in the queue to buy a couple :2tsup:

Couldn't be too hard to make for a sufficiently talented individual... flat base (la la la... not listening!), small groove 5mm from the base around the edge, some sort of nice profile on top and a screw thread to screw the wooden handle onto. Mind you, I have neither the talent or the machinery :rolleyes:

cheers,
Dave

Claw Hama
20th December 2011, 03:09 PM
Yep that would do:U

BobL
20th December 2011, 03:31 PM
Seen these
Bases - Reg Barber Espresso Coffee Tampers (http://www.coffeetamper.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=44)
Any diameter to the nearest 0.1mm and 6 base shapes to choose from
I cannot make the bases for these prices.

BTW I have 4 of these - the 5th one with the Jarrah handle is a pullman
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/96753d1234922751-anyone-make-sell-coffee-tampers-tampers.jpg
My favourite is the LH most side one with the Sandalwood handle carved to fit a clenched hand and the Euro curve base.

Claw Hama
20th December 2011, 03:40 PM
Hi Bob
Yep, I did see these and they were on the top of the list, just thought if any of our normal suppliers had them I would rather use them. Thanks Bob

wheelinround
20th December 2011, 07:23 PM
Good heavy hard wood CH

issatree
20th December 2011, 07:50 PM
Hi CH,
Why don't you have a bit of a go yourself.
They can't be too hard, but of course they would have to be accurate.
It is quite easy to Turn Allum. in the Wood Lathe, some times a lot easier than Wood. Even Steel can be Turned successfully.

BobL
20th December 2011, 08:05 PM
I have tried the aluminium and hollow SS tampers and I don't liked them as they don't have enough heft. I reckon the best ones are copper but that makes them pretty exy.

dai sensei
20th December 2011, 08:32 PM
Why metal? I made mine out of hardwood.

Claw Hama
20th December 2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks guys, yes will probably make some in full wood but was also just looking at doing some metal ones as well. I am making these for some top notch gold medal baristas so they are pretty choosey about what they want. One just took out 2 of the top categories in the CSR comp out of 1200 baristas.

China
20th December 2011, 11:46 PM
If you are making them for top baristas, they will want a stainless steel base, some will want a flat base and some domed, some will want a high polish some will want a satin polish they will also be precise about the weight. I know I have been there and done that.

Claw Hama
21st December 2011, 06:30 AM
Yep thats what they were saying but they are also open to some new ideas that may give a different/better result. I have some very heavy Red Hog and some big chunks of Ebony to play with but still have to aquire the metal bases.

Sawdust Maker
21st December 2011, 08:53 PM
I've made a couple out of hardwood but would be (am) interested in the metal bases if there is a local supplier

China
21st December 2011, 10:51 PM
Re the metal bases I made my own as I have a small metal lathe, in my enquiries at the time the general opinion from most engineering shops was that it would not be cost effective unless they wre made in quantity on CNC equipment