PDA

View Full Version : You Would Not Believe This.

issatree
20th December 2011, 08:13 PM
Hi to you All,
The Geelong Community Men's Shed has Started, as they poured the Cement Fri. Last.
If they ever get going, then it will only take 2 Days to erect it, so they say.
We had all our Gear Stored, & so once again we had to shift it all, 8th. time one Chap said.
So we hired a covered in Truck, but one piece was to long, & seeing nobody had a Saw to cut it, I was told to go & find a Hand Saw.
There was a Kitchen / Bathroom Fixtures Factory ( small ) that did the Woodwork side of things.
Asked if I could get a lend of a Hand Saw, Shrug of the Shoulders, Don't think so.
Came up with a HACKSAW, I took it & said thanks. It did the job anyway.
So it seems that Woodwork Shops don't use Hand Saws anymore.
I was Flabbagasted to say the least.

andrewr79
20th December 2011, 08:38 PM
My local timber yard has one sad looking old handsaw resting against a wall and I've never seen it change location. They have panel saws and huge dropsaws to do the work.

Every tradie I know has battery powered circ saws and recipro saws etc now, and few would know how to use a handsaw properly if they carried one.

I'm not complaining too much though, it means a lot of great, unwanted handsaws on the market for those of us who want to work without the hassle of the noise and failing batteries!

tonys9604
1st January 2012, 12:46 PM
My local timber yard has one sad looking old handsaw resting against a wall and I've never seen it change location. They have panel saws and huge dropsaws to do the work.

Every tradie I know has battery powered circ saws and recipro saws etc now, and few would know how to use a handsaw properly if they carried one.

I'm not complaining too much though, it means a lot of great, unwanted handsaws on the market for those of us who want to work without the hassle of the noise and failing batteries!
Totally agree AndrewR, a hand saw correctly sharpened and set does a great job, with that sweet smell and sound, particually on Oregan.

andrewr79
1st January 2012, 01:55 PM
I'm just building a sawbench to get better use out of mine. So much easier doing it by hand, especially when it's only a few cuts. Sad to see so many skills lost though.