PDA

View Full Version : What chuck is this?

FrankMac59
22nd December 2011, 05:45 PM
After decades of woodwork infidelity, I am returning to my first love and dusting off my old Tough lathe, originally purchased (bed, head and tailstock only) from Western Australia maybe 35 years ago.
While cleaning off the accumulated grime of the ages, I found my old chucks - a Peter Child Coil chuck, a Nova chuck with Cole jaw accessories, a large expanding dovetail chuck, based on a single machined circle of spring steel for outboard use on large bowls or platters and another one, pictured below, which is my problem.
This chuck has four alloy dovetail jaws that separate over a cone as the chuck ring is tightened. It is multi-function as it also works as a compression chuck using a two part split ring as well as a screw chuck when the two halves of the split ring hold the cone in place with a screw in it.
I seem to recall that the expanding dovetails were retained in approximate place by a rubber band.
Does this description remind anyone of any particular chuck? If so, can they remind me of the correct way to set it up?

Frank

RETIRED
22nd December 2011, 06:14 PM
A precision combination chuck.

RETIRED
22nd December 2011, 06:16 PM
PS a lot of it is missing.

Roger C
22nd December 2011, 09:40 PM
:U Hi It might be a Record Chuck as said it seems there are parts missing:URegards Roger in RSA

dr4g0nfly
23rd December 2011, 06:49 AM
I agree with the rest, it's a PC2000 (or variant). I also agree there is lot's missing. But then again it is capable of being adapted into many variations.

PCC2000 Chuck Parts (http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/Chucks--Accessories/PCC2000-Combination/list.htm)

I've got one in the garage but can't remember the last time I used it. I do have a manual I can copy if no-one else can direct you to an online copy.

marcopolo
24th December 2011, 08:08 AM
After decades of woodwork infidelity, I am returning to my first love and dusting off my old Tough lathe, originally purchased (bed, head and tailstock only) from Western Australia maybe 35 years ago.
While cleaning off the accumulated grime of the ages, I found my old chucks - a Peter Child Coil chuck, a Nova chuck with Cole jaw accessories, a large expanding dovetail chuck, based on a single machined circle of spring steel for outboard use on large bowls or platters and another one, pictured below, which is my problem.
This chuck has four alloy dovetail jaws that separate over a cone as the chuck ring is tightened. It is multi-function as it also works as a compression chuck using a two part split ring as well as a screw chuck when the two halves of the split ring hold the cone in place with a screw in it.
I seem to recall that the expanding dovetails were retained in approximate place by a rubber band.
Does this description remind anyone of any particular chuck? If so, can they remind me of the correct way to set it up?

Frank
Hi, You have a piece of history in your possession. I can tell you a little about the chuck as I was associated with a business that imported a number of these units from Craft Supplies (UK) in the 1970-1980 era. There should be about 50 or more of them lying around in sheds.
Peter Child was an English pioneer woodturner/teacher/designer/author in the 1970's. The chuck was the forerunner of most of the modern woodlathe chucks on the market today. It was quickly superseded by a Precision Combination Chuck manufactured by Robert Sorby & Co. and subsequently a lot more improved designs. Peter Child may have been the designer/inventor hence the name. A spring coil was introduced in design revisions to hold the jaws in place. What you have in the photo is complete except for a "C" spanner and a centre screw.
The basic chuck worked well and there should be no reason why it could not be used again as long as you have patience in assembling it.
Simply fit the base on the headstock,fit the centre cone,hold the four jaws in the outer locking ring with the aid of a rubber band and assemble it on to the threaded base. As you tighten the locking ring ,the jaws expand and lock into a dovetail recess prepared on the back of turned work. Very effective!
A second function of the chuck used the two locking collets instead of the jaws and centre cone.
A third function was to use the centre cone with a long woodscrew fitted from the rear held in place by the two collets and locking ring.
I may have a spare "C" spanner out in the shed, but it would not be difficult to use a short piece of round mild steel inserted into the holes in the outside of the locking ring.
Hope this helps.
rdgs. marcopolo

marcopolo
24th December 2011, 08:14 AM

Frank

ps A fourth function was to use the base plate alone with three woodscrews inserted from the rear.

RETIRED
24th December 2011, 11:37 AM
Gooday Marco polo. I reckon I probably bought one off you. I still have it.:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
25th December 2011, 06:06 AM
I believe I also have one, fairly complete, still in the wooden box it came in.

'Twas given to me by Rodent (also on these forums) and, from memory, includes a parts listing for two or three different models/sets/whatever.

Sadly, I'll have to get home to check... got a few spare months to wait? :wink:

marcopolo
25th December 2011, 09:33 AM
Hi & Skew ChiDAMN!!
Glad to know the chucks and owners are still going strong after nearly 40 years!
Marcopolo

texx
26th December 2011, 01:12 PM
i still have mine , had it for i think about 30 plus years , bought it from the gap in brisbane.
still use it now and then .

johno

Cliff Rogers
26th December 2011, 01:25 PM
I have a Masterchuck that was designed by Peter Child that I bought in about '92.

The one that is currently called the Masterchuck looks a bit like that one.

The Masterchuck for the Woodturning Lathe (http://www.peterchild.co.uk/chucks/masterchuck.htm)

texx
26th December 2011, 02:54 PM
here ya go this is what i got in the set when i bought mine , still even had the box until about a year ago the silver fish ate most of it ."Precision Combination Chuck"

Cliff Rogers
26th December 2011, 03:25 PM
I still have my box but it is only about 20 years old.

marcopolo
26th December 2011, 05:38 PM
Hi, If anyone wants sets of jaws like the items shown,I have a number of spares,plus the collars,backing plates and maybe one or two locking rings.
marcopolo

Paul39
27th December 2011, 01:12 PM
I have a brand new Sorby version in the metal box that has not yet been on a lathe. I bought it at an estate auction of a Wood worker. I had the plain bore drilled out and threaded to 1 inch X 8 TPI.

The machinist even fitted it to my Delta headstock spindle.

NeilS
1st January 2012, 05:04 PM
Had something similar made or supplied by Woodfast, a three jaw version.

It was the bees knees until the Nova scroll chucks came out.

FrankMac59
1st January 2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I am pretty sure that what is in the photo is all I got with the chuck when it arrived. Perhaps over time, what was considered standard began to include more options to cope with increasing chuck competition in the market.
I got in touch with Peter Child's site in an attempt to get the manual for the Child's Coil Chuck and they were going to fax it to me as they didn't have an electronic version (??) but the Festive season got in the way.
I also was happy to find out that the current models of Nova chuck accessories will fit the original body so that might open up some options for the future as well.
I started reading some of the books I had from the 'old days' - ones by Peter Child (autographed!), Ray Key, Anders Thorlin with Steven Hogbin to come, but realised that I have lost some of the old classics, like the one by Frank Pain. Still I am enjoying renewing my acquaintance with the lathe. It is starting to feel like riding a bike - it's coming back a lot faster than I thought it would. There's no quality to it as yet, but hope springs eternal!
Thanks again for all the input.

Frank

NeilS
2nd January 2012, 12:40 PM
I started reading some of the books I had from the 'old days' - ones by Peter Child (autographed!)

Frank - I presume your Peter Child's book is his The Craftsman Woodturner, which I found indispensable when it first came out 40 years ago. Just found my copy ( alas, not signed :( ) and it takes me back to the techniques and technologies of the time. Most of the fundamentals still apply, but looking through the book now it strikes me just how much development there has been over the last four decades in the tools and equipment available to woodturners, particularly for faceplate work, and the much wider range of shapes and designs that are now possible.

Well worth re-reading those early classics, but if I was getting back into woodturning again after an absence of many decades I would be adding some more recent references, maybe starting with anything from Richard Raffan.

FrankMac59
2nd January 2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Neil.
That was the intention but I have had the purse strings tightened by 'the bookkeeper' for a bit following Christmas. However, I have been looking at Richard Raffan's books online and will certainly get one in the near future.

NeilS
2nd January 2012, 07:10 PM
I have had the purse strings tightened by 'the bookkeeper' for a bit following Christmas.

Understood!

rheseltine
19th December 2015, 04:46 PM
hi all
I have just inherited a lathe and a box with this chuck see picture from FrankMac59 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/37531-frankmac59)

looking at the picture from texx (http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/29990-texx)
I am missing some of the jaws but apart from that it appears complete.

does anyone have the manuals for this.

thanks

Ross

rheseltine
22nd December 2015, 09:41 PM
hi Marcopolo

would love to know what you have and have them sent to me in Australia.
COD or can have a bank check or cash sent to you.

regards

Ross Heseltine

Big A
23rd December 2015, 06:09 PM
I have a Sorby chuck that looks a lot like that. I will look at again tomorrow. It has the instruction book. From my experience with it I decided that Mr Sorby disliked wood turners, because it is a cow of a thing to use. (But what would I know?)

If it a collectors item, then some one can collect it from me in exchange for dollars and I will convert that into real chuck/s.

YMMV.
Alister.