PDA

View Full Version : Straight cuts

timwr
23rd December 2011, 11:12 AM
Hi folks,

I'm new here and want to learn more about using traditional tools rather than rushing out to buy a new powertool for every job I start, or continually badgering friends so I can borrow their powertools!

I'm working on a rocking horse for my daughter and need to make a straight cut through 1 inch of pine, giving it a flat finish so the new section can sit flush against its joining piece. I've tried a jigsaw but as the blade bends I don't get the flat finish. Can anyone suggest the best handsaw or particular method for this job?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Happy Christmas!!:U

timwr

TomH
23rd December 2011, 09:43 PM
Try a tenon saw. It's much stiffer and should be able to get close to square. A mitre box will make a bif difference to your accuracy. To get a smooth finish I then used to plane the edge square using my Stanley No 4. However, then you will need to develop an obsession in sharpening. If I knew about shooting boards back then my life would have been so much easier.

When I couldn't get my plane sharp enough to plane end grain I used to file the edge. Sounds dodgy, but my coffee table I made 18 years ago using only hand tools and doweled joints has been passed on to my sister and is still going strong.

I know have a sliding compound mitre saw, so cutting things at any angle is easy. Still get the tenon saw and planes out regularly though.

Cheers,

Tom